Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the "Lecture" like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: What is the "Lecture" like? Reply with quote

I saw a job advertisement for a university job that required that a lecture be given by the foreign staff.

Has anyone participated in this? What was talked about in these speeches and how long were they?
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it will be a once a semester thing and on a topic of the teacher's own choice, as long as it's loosely related to the west. Best just ask just to be sure though.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What was talked about in these speeches and how long were they?

Rip a Ted Talk.....
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do one a semester, though we didn't have to do it in the first semester. I've done 'The history of the English language' and 'Halloween', since that one was in October. Up to one and a half hours of PPT and videos and speaking, it's no big deal. This semester I'm doing 'Understanding and using poetry in English to improve your language ability'. I'm looking forward to it to be honest. My uni pays me for 16 hours of teaching, and I've never come close to doing all the hours, so I can't complain. Another factor for me is that it gives me an opportunity to something I never got to do in a language mill, where 'dancing monkey' was more popular than 'English teacher'.
Toast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Saffer buddy who did one on racist slang expressions and their origins. He used hip hop songs and scenes from movies such as Platoon, Goodfellas and Schindler's List to show their contextual usage. The lecture was apparently so popular the Dean even asked him out for dinner the next night with some local politicians and big-wig businessmen. Good old PC China haha.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast wrote:
I had a Saffer buddy who did one on racist slang expressions and their origins. He used hip hop songs and scenes from movies such as Platoon, Goodfellas and Schindler's List to show their contextual usage. The lecture was apparently so popular the Dean even asked him out for dinner the next night with some local politicians and big-wig businessmen. Good old PC China haha.

+1

Good ole China! Gotta love it.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your school will probably have an ENGLISH WEEK or some special activity, and you'll be asked to give a talk. You'll probably be able to talk them out of their assigned topic.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one in 3 years. It was packed out and new kids arrived less than 5 min from the end.
I talked about my home country and (very inexpertly) sang an indigenous song.
That said it was not long after the start of the new academic year and freshmen will go to anything in those first weeks.
I recall all the new FTs were scheduled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: