Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunities for non-western teachers in Indonesia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumpingmonkey

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Opportunities for non-western teachers in Indonesia? Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am a South Asian EFL teacher with MA-TESOL from the US and near-native competence. I'm wondering what my chances are for teaching in Indonesia. Almost all schools seem to require passports from UK, US, Canada, Australia, NZ, SA, Eire, which I don't have. I do have lots of experience teaching in the US though. I've taught both non-native speakers (ESL) and native speakers (English composition).

How do I break through the native-speakers only barrier in Indonesia? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Zorobabel

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few South Asians teaching in National Plus / lower tier international schools. As an example, BPK Penabur hires South Asians to teach English in its international schools. The coordinator of the English program at Penabur International School Kelapa Gading is Indian. I imagine the same is true for places like Singapore International School and the other 'international schools' that actually cater to Indonesian students.

That said, the major caveat there is that the South Asian teachers don't make as much money as the native-speaking teachers, probably starting out at 5-7 million rupiah per month less (their salaries could be 7-12 million rupiah per month, perhaps?).

Other posters may have more information, particularly on higher paying opportunities.
jumpingmonkey

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zorobabel! Good to know. 7 million rupiah is kinda low. But 12 million proabably would be getting into the acceptable range. I would like to avoid schools and go for institutes that typically teach adults or teenagers though.
princesss

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the Gandhi school. It has a good reputation, has a large number of teachers and mostly hires Indians. There is also a small Pakistani school. These would be good startibg places, depending on which part of South Asia you come from.
p1randal

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this thread, you might want to check out the tzu chi school. They require Chinese/English so if that fits you..go for it.

http://tzuchischool.com/album/career/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: