Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American who taught in Barcelona wants answers on Rome!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannaberomegirl

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: American who taught in Barcelona wants answers on Rome! Reply with quote

Hi. Have been reading this list for some time and not to be repetitive,
but I managed to teach in Barcelona, Spain for a year (illegally) and while there were some initial rejects, the same schools later called me back and I wound up working about 20 hours or so a week.
My fiance is going to Rome to study and I was wondering about teaching English there. I realize that I will not have a visa and will be trying to teach illegally, but am looking for someone who will tell it to me straight....
(and I obviously don't expect health benefits, vacation time, etc.)
but was looking for advice, ie...
*what time do schools in Rome start hiring? (ie in Barcelona it was crucial to be there in September)
*are there schools (I know they might be crappy) that will hire Americans
*what are the chances of being deported?

can swap info on Barcelona for info on Rome!
Thank you for your help!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Scab ! Reply with quote

"And I obviously don't expect health benefits, vacation time, etc." she says and then asks us to help her.

I hope they catch you and throw you in the slammer.

Scab labour is one of the reasons why conditions in this line are so awful.
You are prepared to work for pennies and without any benefits. Shame on you !
daily chai

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47, I wouldn't have put it so bluntly but I agree in principle with what you said.

Wannabe, have you considered furthering your education in Italy? I don't know where you're from, but the US gives student loans to Americans/perm. legal residents even if they study in foreign countries. I know U-Bologna is one of the accepted schools. I think there is an American University of Rome (not sure) too, for undergraduate degrees. You can check for a school code at www.fafsa.ed.gov

I financed my studies in the Netherlands through this program. LostinParis found out that she can work 20 hours a week in Italy while studying. Now, why not better your education and pack some work experience in at the same time? You could teach at university with a master's degree. Go for it... there are better options. You'd just be in a rush to apply, but in NL I applied a month after the deadline and got in--no problem. I daresay Italians are more known for understanding delays than Dutch people are too.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Hoffa and the Teamsters had the right idea on scabs who reduce wages by agreeing to lousy working conditions !

Teaching is a job - not a hobby for fatcat backpackers who can rely on Daddy to bale them out !
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching English is also a job for people who know the difference between 'bail' and 'bale', but that didn't stop you ...
wannaberomegirl

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, definately did not expect that kind of response, but do thank you all for your honesy. However, I have to admit that I did add that line because of the replies I read to other posts and how people were at times ridiculed about expecting too much....
It's great to see that people really had a strong reaction to my post (ie. they really care about teaching) and I agree with you in a lot of ways. I apologize for my bluntness and looking at the reality of my situation, in respects to being an American and trying to teach (without a visa, etc.) I just never thought of myself as a scab (my teaching experiences in Barcelona offered high wages, a very supportive teaching staff, and many opportunities for staff development)
I truly apologize if I offended anyone--I assure you that it was never my intent to be seen as a scab. And to the backpacking/bailing out comment--I've been teaching for a lot of years and realize the vast of amount of effort, time, patience, creativity, and hard work that is involved.
daily chai

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your working ventures! It's too bad there are some hardened flame warriors here who jump to fight--pity them for their eagerness to argue. Nobody writes in here so they can be called names. Some responses were more vehement than the situation warranted. Hello, Jimmy Hoffa and references to mafia intimidation? Perhaps they are working out their frustrations from living abroad--I don't know, but the helpfulness was limited. You sound like a sensible person who will put it into perspective. Smile

I can understand why you put in that "waiver" because non-EU folks are frequently flamed when they inquire about working there. I'm convinced it's protectionism; which is understandable.

I hope you can find legal alternatives to working in Italy, for your sake and ours. Have you contacted your local Italian representative office? They might have some ideas. If you're paranoid, don't give your name. Also, if your fiance is EU moving up the wedding date might give you more options, especially if he gets a job in Italy. I know he's going to school FT, but there might be something you could work out.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bail someone out of the slammer.
When daddy sends you $500 he bales you out.

Right or wrong ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: A baleful reply Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Wrong, I think:

"Main Entry: 4bail
Function: transitive verb
1 : to release under bail
2 : to procure the release of by giving bail -- often used with out
3 : to help from a predicament -- used with out <bailing out impoverished countries>

Number 3 seems to be the meaning you intended.

Regards,
John
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been mesmerised by the image of the 'fatcat backpacker' Laughing
I wonder, do they wear a tie? Smoke a cigar?
With all that weight at the front and the back, they must look something like a football..
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat

I stand corrected. I suppose "bale out" is what you do when your aircraft is on fire.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: You need to make bail Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Well you might toss your bale (of whatever) out of the doomed aircraft, but, once again, I fear you would have to:
"bail out
Function: intransitive verb
1 : to parachute from an aircraft
2 : to abandon a harmful or difficult situation"
Regards,
John
Frater

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your boat should ever be taking in water, though, you may bale the stuff out.

That's a groovy conditional sentence, innit?
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: sink, sank, sunk Reply with quote

Dear frater,
If you can "bale" water:

a large bundle of goods; specifically : a large closely pressed package of merchandise bound and usually wrapped <a bale of paper> <a bale of hay>

you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Regards.
John
SueH

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john,

bale - a Br variant I'm afraid. Can't say I'd argue the toss with any skipper who ordered me to bail, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: