Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Camp Teaching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a13ng

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Summer Camp Teaching Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Alec. I am a certified teacher in Toronto, Canada, with four years of teaching experience. I am interested in teaching summer camp in Taiwan (only for the summer, not planning to stay for one year). Any advice on how to look for a job? Thanks.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec, it's not pretty.

ALV American Language Village.

They ask for the moon and our pay worked out to cdn$6/hr for hard work...and we had to pay for food and our transportation and we were not happy for the most part. No aircon in our dorm and Taiwan is HOT in the summer.

Of course, the kids were good...but we were asked to stop our classes without warning and rotate to the other classes. It was awful, confused the kids and ruined any rapport we had built. Despiriting comes to mind.

mts.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ALV American Language Village

ALV is defunct. Their owner had some legal problems.

Of course ALV was difficult. Not to mention that they give you crap material and then complain when the kids are bored.

Not to mention that sometimes you stay at camp from 8AM to 8PM and have no energy to plan anything or try to make your students happy.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALV defunct?

With what appeared to be such a cash cow?

I feel no remorse...I wonder what will come about to take its place...if anything. Their website is still functioning as of two days ago, but that means squat I suppose.

mts.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in reality it has changed names.

MyTrunkshow, the worst part is their TAs. They are like spies and tell on teachers for not following the rules.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the worst part is their TAs. They are like spies and tell on teachers for not following the rules.

I have to chuckle. First off, the above statement seems par for the course and I can just imagine how the news flows.

In my last post, I had written (and then deleted before sending), about Grace, a great TA. She really made my classes fun, had tons of energy and we created some good lessons. She was one of the only positives of my stint at ALV. I later noticed that she had risen the ranks and her name was in the contacts of ALV.

Volunteering at the camps in Bali would be more interesting and rewarding IMO. At least there, Indonesia is really inexpensive and there's an arguably gentler culture surrounding the summer camp.... so compared to the pittance from ALV, it would work out to much the same costwise as TW is quite pricey. Both, however, are going to put a huge dent in one's pocket.

mts.
MyTrunkshow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the worst part is their TAs. They are like spies and tell on teachers for not following the rules.

I have to chuckle. First off, the above statement seems par for the course and I can just imagine how the news flows.

In my last post, I had written (and then deleted before sending), about Grace, a great TA. She really made my classes fun, had tons of energy and we created some good lessons. She was one of the only positives of my stint at ALV. I later noticed that she had risen the ranks and her name was in the contacts of ALV.

Volunteering at the camps in Bali would be more interesting and rewarding IMO. At least there, Indonesia is really inexpensive and there's an arguably gentler culture surrounding the summer camp.... so compared to the pittance from ALV, it would work out to much the same costwise as TW is quite pricey. Both, however, are going to put a huge dent in one's pocket.

mts.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Both, however, are going to put a huge dent in one's pocket.

I am already in Taiwan so it is not the same. Working in Taiwan is a little annoying. Many schools want to cut your hours in the summer.

The new name for ALV is Top English Camp.
pulvermakm29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Pay Reply with quote

I was looking into this camp and all the reviews seem pretty similar... Since some you you have been through the summer camp, how much profit do you think you actually made-- or did you find yourself paying more for the job than what it actually paid out? How did airfare work out for you? Thanks Smile
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really depends where you are flying from.
ltroshinsky

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: ALV camp Reply with quote

Hi. I was hired by ALV camp (they still call it that) and I'm wary about going because it will basically cost me money to work there. They pay only $1500 for one month of teaching, but the airfare from the states is over $1600. But I'll be in Taiwan. I've never been to Asia.

The reviews sounds horrible though. I'm too old for all that!

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: