Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shane English School in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nic_Nak

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Shane English School in Taiwan Reply with quote

Hi there

I've been offered a placement with Shane English School in Taiwan (not sure of location yet) through Reach To Teach.

Does anyone have any experience with them, specifically in Taiwan?

Thanks

Nicola
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: SEST Reply with quote

I currently am working for SEST. Today, I am renewing my contract for another six months. I work at a franchise school that I believe treats teachers better than most of the chain schools.

A question: Are you getting hired from Abroad?

Also, are they putting you on standby to supply teach as a substitute or are they offering you a year long position at a a specific school?

One thing I'd say is be a little leery about what Mitch from reach to teach has to say. SEST is a pretty decent operation, but many of my friends ended up at Uncle Scam American school via R2T... and the lies they were told to get them there!

If you have specific questions, then feel free to PM me and I'll discuss things with you.

--J:.
Nic_Nak

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts to do so. I'm interested in hearing about your friends experience with R2T, could you PM me please?

Am in the UK and they have offered me a one year contract. The hours and pay structure put me off and the contract has too many vague ifs.

What is the enivronment like? How do they treat you and what kind of hours did you get after the first 6months?

Thanks

Nic
OuterBanks13

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in Shane as well. I'll get back to you when my posts are up.
Nic_Nak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my independent research Shane seems OK and am going to have my lawyer flatmate look over the contract. I think for a newly qualified newbie like me they may well provide an opportunity to get my feet wet esp as they are run by English management. No school is perfect but as long as they pay me on time and is safe I can't complain.

I'll let you know what comes up.
NY1203

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, R2T must be sending all of the applicant those 2 school offerings. Shane was offered to me in Keelung. We probably got the same email.

Jen
9lives

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Shane in Taiwan Reply with quote

I've been working with a Shane franchise for about 5 weeks. It's my first time teaching in Taiwan, so I can't compare it to other schools. I was hired through Reach to Teach from the US, and I feel that I got pretty accurate information from my recruiter. If you're being hired from overseas, it can be harder to assess schools. I picked Shane because the contract was the most detailed I saw and it seemed fair to me.

From what I've seen of SEST, I'm happy with the company. But since my training week, I haven't had too much contact with folks outside my franchise. The teachers in Taipei that I got a chance to talk to all seemed happy. It seems that with franchise schools-- any schools outside Taipei-- the franchise owner gets more leeway in the way things are run, except details already laid out in your contract.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision!
Nic_Nak

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

9lives, how are you finding Taiwan? Was it easy enough to find affordable accomodation?

I think i'll go with Shane, they seems like a decent outfit and will be a good starting point for my first job in Taiwan.

Nic

xx
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working at a Shane school in Taichung for over a year now. Two things ye must know:

1. It's the easiest gig in the world. If you can't make it here...well, you simply can't make it.

2. Hours tend to be low, so you won't leave with a suitcase full of money after just one year.
joolee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Shane English School Reply with quote

I worked for Shane English School Taiwan for a year in 2007/8. I was working in a kindergarten school in Taipei county, teaching my kindi class in the day time and evening classes to older kids in the evenings. You should be aware that the experience of working for a Shane franchise school is very different to working for Shane controlled schools.

I stayed for the year...by month 3 I was overworked and frustrated and by month 6 I counted down every day until I completed my contract. Shane is not a shady school (ie. they pay your wages on time every month) but they give you unreasonable work schedules, ridiculously poor teaching resources, low wages and a general sense that they don't give a toss about you.

My Taiwanese manager was completely incompetent and could not communicate effectively with staff and had absolutely no idea what was going on in the classroom.

During my one year at Shane there were many unhappy teachers leave the company and break contracts because they were completely run down by teaching up to 6 day weeks (if covering for 'sick' teachers on their day off) with some days spanning 12 hours (with numerous unpaid breaks in between) and a completely uncompromising management when it came to asking for time off. It's all take and no give at Shane!

In my case I taught for 30 hours a week over 5 days but spent over 50 hours in school per week because of unpaid breaks.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER met a happy Shane English School (Taipei) employee!

I left Shane after a year and got a new kindi job with better pay, 4 weeks paid holiday per year, fixed 9-5 schedule and well organised programme of study...

My advice....look around before accepting Shane!

P.s. Schools with a good rep: JumpStart / Headstart, Big Byte, Happy Marion
ABS77

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just read your post thanks. I've had a terrible time with HESS and I'm counting the days now until I finish.

I read comments all the time about people's horror stories with bad schools. After their rant, they then say they things like "Oh, but now I've found a good school and I'm being paid such and such an hour, I get paid holidays etc...".
YOU GUYS NEVER TELL US WHO WITH?! Why the big secret?

I write to you to to ask if you can message me the good English teaching job you got after Shane in Taiwan please?

Thanks.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: re: prove it! Reply with quote

Quote:
1. It's the easiest gig in the world. If you can't make it here...well, you simply can't make it.

Sounds like a bit of grovelling weasel talk to me, to justify working for a Taiwanese boss/company. Prove to us that it is the easiest (gig-concert in UK slang, not sure what a gig is in this context, you mean job I take it?) in the "world". I'd say stacking shelves at asda on night shift is the easiest "gig" in the world as you don't have to teach a class full of kids nor deal with some profit hungry boss and it pays even better than teaching english in taiwan--see my point ace?
Tudor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people posting replies to a five-year old thread?

If anyone has any up-to-date info on Shane then that would be useful, but pulling someone up for comments made five years ago seems rather pointless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: