Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minsk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
descartes123

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partizan wrote:

You don't have a degree and I'm afraid based on your qualifications (or lack thereof), your options are very limited.

That was very helpful. Thanks

Who would have thought that a degree is a gold card to further your career in one of the most prosperous countries in the world. Come on...
maruss

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: I think he is just trying to warn you? Reply with quote

Belarus has never been a place where there were many jobs for foreigners and the situation there is very difficult for most of the population.This guy was VERY lucky to land that IT job with a $ salary!
As for Russia and degrees etc. it was common practise for ex-pats to go there with business visas and work illegally until a few years ago when the authorities decided to have a general crackdown on people, employers included, who were taking advantage of this loophole to hire people without paying tax etc!Basically they changed the rules so that even with a 1-year business visa you have to leave the country after 90 days, rather than every six months as you did previously and then not return for at least 90 days.To get you a 1-year work permit as a teacher the firm now has to register you officially with the tax people and show that you have the minimum qualifications for the job which usually includes a degree, as you can see from the ads. for most vacancies nowadays.Not to say that there are no ways around it, but it depends a lot on the employer, how much experience you have of teaching previously- and also whether they are desperate enough to bend the rules by taking you on?It is also worth noting that in case of any problems if you are caught by the authorities for working illegally they are unlikely to come to your rescue and it may also be the end of your stay there!
descartes123

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like a headache to be honest. I am starting to doubt whether it is all worth it.

And what you described in the other post I can imagine is quite accurate.
Partizan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

descartes123 wrote:
It does seem like a headache to be honest. I am starting to doubt whether it is all worth it.

Maruss and others have given you all the advice that you need. It's up to you what you want to do with your life.
maruss

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: CELTA Reply with quote

There are still a number of countries where you can teach with only CELTA so it cannot be seen as a total waste of money and it is a good way to learn about teaching English.
Russia was never an easy to place to go anyway and now it's even tougher because of the economic and political situation there.
Perhaps a person should make a list of their reasons for wanting to go there?
1)to learn the language and history and gain first-hand experience of the place?For those reasons it can be a good option!
2) All or some of the above but also to gain teaching experience?Not such a good option as there are hassles, all of which we have already discussed!
3)To teach and earn good money?Forget it as it is unlikely you will have anything worthwhile saved up when you leave, especially with current exchange rates!
BenE

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a year in Belarus. Got a job and a work visa with a degree + CELTA. I think back then they just wanted you to have a CELTA.
Don't go there expecting to get rich but IH and some companies will pay a reasonable salary and accommodation is quite cheap (if it isn't provided)

People are also friendly and the govt despite what Maruss says won't hassle you unless you're going in with a plan to change things. Just enjoy Draniki and drink vodka and do your work and all will be fine. Cool
09Turner

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

descartes123 wrote:

You can take Russian at the University and give private lessons on the side. Friend of mine makes bank in Moscow and only takes a few hours of Russian a week in an easy Uni. There's always a way.

What's the expat life like in Minsk?
Partizan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

09Turner wrote:
descartes123 wrote:

You can take Russian at the University and give private lessons on the side. Friend of mine makes bank in Moscow and only takes a few hours of Russian a week in an easy Uni. There's always a way.

What's the expat life like in Minsk?

A bit of an update:

Nearly three years and counting here and I have to say that I am enjoying it. I like my job, I work for a good company and my life is very comfortable. In fact, I am more comfortable now than what I was when I was working in an office cubicle back in Dublin.

Expat life here is mainly people from other FSU countries (Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan etc.), Turkey and other Arab countries. There are hardly any Westerners here. Minsk is a nice, clean city with an easy going vibe that has a provincial feel to it. Although not as lively as Moscow or Kiev, it still has its charms. Nightlife revolves around the bars of Zubitskaya Street in Nemiga. You have other bars and hipster joints on Oktabyrskaya street not to mention the many cafes and bars where the locals go. MOD EDIT
For cycling, Minsk cannot be beat with its many cycle lanes. It has many sports and leisure facilities. Winters here are tough. Right now it is dark, dull, mind numbingly cold with lots of snow. However come mid April, the weather starts to get noticeably warmer. Summers are glorious here.

If anybody wants any more info, just drop me a line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: