Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual Citizen job prospects Rome/Florence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lad5144

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Dual Citizen job prospects Rome/Florence Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I am new to this site. I was hoping for some guidance as to job prospects in Italy. I am from the US but am also an Italian citizen. I am a native English speaker and college graduate. I also speak Spanish fluently. I am thinking of moving to Italy in September and taking a TEFL course through ITTT or Via Lingua. Does anyone have any experience with these programs? What are my job prospects as a US native/Italian citizen?

Thank you!
Laura DiGiulio
giumelz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the exact same boat, just got my EU passport and am looking at ITTT in Florence
Louisdf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Citizen job prospects Rome/Florence Reply with quote

lad5144 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am new to this site. I was hoping for some guidance as to job prospects in Italy. I am from the US but am also an Italian citizen. I am a native English speaker and college graduate. I also speak Spanish fluently. I am thinking of moving to Italy in September and taking a TEFL course through ITTT or Via Lingua. Does anyone have any experience with these programs? What are my job prospects as a US native/Italian citizen?

Thank you!
Laura DiGiulio

You are wasting your money with online courses, no reputable and decent paying school would employ someone with an online course. Their website may well tell you that this course will 'guarantee you a job', but the reality is that in Europe most reputable schools only take people with a CELTA. In small towns, you will probably be offered a contract for 20-25 hours a week from October until June, your hours are dictated to you and it's likely you will work during the evening hours and Saturday. In big cities like Milan, most teachers are not offered 'a job' as such, but work freelance for several schools at once. This means that you get paid by the hour (of course no shows are paid) and you choose days and hours to suit you. However, split shifts are common as students like to have classes before and after work/school. You can also choose your holidays, but you won't be paid during this period. In July and August hours will be low, but there are also summer camps which need people.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You are wasting your money with online courses, no reputable and decent paying school would employ someone with an online course.

???

Both programs lad5144 mentioned offer on-site courses in Florence. However, neither is particularly known for high quality, even though they are both purportedly "CELTA equivalent" courses. Note that ITTT runs big classes of up to 25 trainees. (12 is the standard accepted max.) Via Lingua includes 16 hours of "life skills"--probably not how you want to be spending your limited time during a one month TEFL course. They also count "private study" time in the hours of their language awareness module, and include those as well as the 16 hours of life skills in the 120-hour total they cite. So trainees are clearly not receiving 120 hours of face-to-face TEFL instruction, no matter how the course is advertised.

For about the same amount of money, you can take a CELTA in Milan, Rome, or (I think) Verona, or a Trinity cert course in Vicenza. I do think a high quality generic course can offer training as good as, and in some cases, better than the brand names. But it is important to look them over carefully and get detailed information about the course content, schedule, trainers' qualifications, trainer/trainee ratio, etc., in order to be able to effectively compare apples to apples.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: