Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching IELTS in Madrid or other cities..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Teaching IELTS in Madrid or other cities.. Reply with quote

Hi....just a question...Whats the IELTS Teaching situation in Madrid or throughout Spain?..I have been teaching ESL for 16 years, and IELTS for the last 5/6 years. Thinking of relocating out of Asia!! What do people think? Is there work there? Or should I rely on my Business English teaching experience to get a job?..TKS
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ..over 50 views BUT no answers/pointers/info...does ANYBODY live and work in Spain?? Very Happy
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Spain Reply with quote

Try the British Council:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/spain/en
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a passport from an EU member country, there is work. It is not usually found from abroad (simply too many teachers around on the ground for schools to need to take a chance on someone sight-unseen), and peak hiring season is Sept/Oct. Very little work around over the summer.
Your experience in Asia may not be highly valued by employers; European students can be markedly different.
Most teachers here on the market have a CELTA or equivalent; if you haven't, you'll probably want to get one.
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamb..thanks but the British Council for IELTS is a no-brainer Smile
spiral78...haha 16 years of experience may not be 'highly regarded' by employers..I can walk into any ESL situation and function thank you..AND if you looked at my question it was PURELY IELTS related - "Whats the IELTS Teaching situation in Madrid or throughout Spain?.."..and thats all I require. I am well aware of the hiring situation and peak hiring times thats why I didnt ask about that...and also I am Scottish so still an EU citizen

SO are there any IELTS Teachers out there in Madrid?..even a simple answer like 'yep IELTS is popular' or "nah forget it" ..would suffice.Smile

grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: IELTS in Madrid Reply with quote

According to the IELTS website, the BC is the only test centre in Madrid.

http://www.ielts.org/test_centre_search/search_results.aspx

If that reflects the level of demand for IELTS, you'd do better to offer business English classes.
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamb..thanks for that but there is NO relation between the number of Test Centres and the demand for IELTS..I work in Saigon, Vietnam. and we have 2 Test Centres here. However there is NOT an English school that doesnt offer IELTS/TOEFLiBT/TOEIC..At many schools there is a large number of students studying IELTS. The school I work at has 5 week classes at 3 levels, and every 5 weeks we open 3 new classes ..thats about 100 students. This is a small school, with a good reputation for IELTS. The big-hitter here is ACET with probably about 400-500 students every 5 weeks signing up. The demand for IELTS is so large that myself and many others basically specialize in IELTS and thats all we teach...and we get bigger $$$ Smile..
So only 1 Test Centre isnt really indicative of demand . Prague which is a huge market for ESL has also only 1 centre. Seoul has 5...and thats a huge city....
SO all is not lost in Spain as I gave a wide experience of Corporate and ESP experience...16 years opens up a lot of avenues and I've gone down many of them...
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spiral78...haha 16 years of experience may not be 'highly regarded' by employers..I can walk into any ESL situation and function thank you..

I started in 1998 and also have related MA, but I wouldn't say the same. Definitely aware that teaching situations exist which I have not encountered and would not be proficient at. Particularly many of the situations that exist in teaching in Asia (young kiddies, very large classes, students who don't have specific goals for learning, students with very low level English, for example), according to the numerous teachers with experience in both regions I've had contact with over the years.

In any case, what are you asking here for, given that you've clearly already got all the answers? Cool
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral..English is obviously your first language..so do you see any answer here to my question?....ps I dont..still waiting on someone with a bit of knowledge or who actually teaches IELTS in Spain to add to the thread..
Lastly, yeh you did point out some missing experiences - I should try - kiddies classes, large classes, and I gotta find the classes with the students that dont have any specific learning goals ...OH wait I had the last pne during my 3 and a half years at the Korean International High School here in HCMC.((...the ONLY students IN Vietnam who DONT know that knowledge of English will get them a better job.
Unlike many places in Asia, Thailand, and Korea for example, Vnese students dont see English as a school subject, they see it as a stepping stone to a brighter future...and that why IELTS is an important step in that future, and thats why us IELTS teachers rake in the big bucks. Oh yeh one last thing, when I hire a teacher I look at their experience and their demo lesson and thats what I hire on...new CELTA or TESOL teachers rarely get the job...just dont know how to do the job Smile.....they need time...
GKD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in why you want to move from Asia to Europe? Is it a long-term move or just for a while? And why Spain?

In my experience, IELTS, whilst growing here, isn't a very big market. Cambridge Exams still dominate here. Guess there are academies and private students who want IELTS.
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GKD..I like that 'growing market'..right up my street. When I arrived in Vietnam, HCMC there were 3 (THREE) schools..and maybe 60 to 70 Teachers..today, its unbelievable the expansion. The great thing about 'the old days' was that there were very few materials, so everything had to be analyzed and then lessons prepared to teach the skills required for so many exams - even Cambridge.I wrote a course for BEC as there were only the exam books no teaching materials, same went for the Michigan exams..exam books but no materials...UNFORTUNATELY, that challenge has gone and I'm tired of HCMC its noise, pollution, and the new 'me' attitude of the culture.
I taught at University in Ecuador for a year, as a break from here some years back and i liked the "Spanish" way of life - easy to say hard to explain, but I'm sure you get the gist. So it's Spain..and also time to buy some property and Spain ticks a lot of the boxes...
If as you say its an emerging market then I might have chosen the right time to think about coming..just as I hit it here in Vietnam...and it definitely ISNT for the money as I will probably take a salary cut..but I've already made my money, so its LIFESTYLE, and LIFESTYLE..pure and simple..
Anyways GKD thanks for the informative post...anything else or some leads would be gladly appreciated..but as here, I'll turn up there and just knock on the door.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have any firsthand experience myself, but my contacts in Spain tell me that IELTS examiners are sought after. Ordinary EFL teachers are ten a penny, even for exam prep.

And no big bucks to rake in.
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie..thanks for that .. good to know ..
big bucks ALREADY raked in Smile)..and Examiners make about $40 an hour here from the British Council and IDP...so I'm sure the British Council there will pay something commensurate Smile)
GKD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is a demand for IELTS here, but I don't know that many academies where it's taught. I think it should be offered way more, so you might be coming at the right time.

The general market here is strong, although the money isn't great. However, I think with some extra work and effort it's possible to make quite a decent amount. (private classes pay well)

I've been here two years now, and I guess I'm contemplating making the next step. Working as a HOS isn't really something I would like to do. Maybe opening an academy or just doing lots of private classes. Being freelance here costs money if you want to do it legally. So working at an academy has its benefits (social security, fixed hours etc)

Also I think it's a great time to buy property if you have money. Prices are rock-bottom.
Saigonjack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GKD...thanks for the positivism...

Probably just needs the catalyst of someone with experience turning up Smile..there is a lot of work involved in learning how to teach IELTS, however it helps if your students come through a good General English programme, rather than joining IELTS as a stand-alone course..but I can deal with both.There are enough materials now so that there is a path of progression to Academic IELTS..
I've been following the prices for a while and would like a wee bit of a project in maybe Galicia or Andalusia, but not necessarily excluding anywhere else...
The $$ is definitely in Asia, as there is a cultural belief in the positives of education..but there comes a time to step back and enjoy the fruits and what they can bring..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: