Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Mexico City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Moving to Mexico City Reply with quote

For the past four years, I have been teaching internationally - one year at a language school in Changwon, Korea, three years at a prepa in Culiacan, Mexico. Having tired of Culiacan - a famously dangerous and also somewhat dreary city - I decided to look for a job teaching at an international high school elsewhere in Mexico. It is looking like a near-lock that I will be teaching at one of several prepas on the west side of Mexico City, in the Cuajimalpa and Alvaro Obregon boroughs, thanks to professional assistance from a participant in this forum.

Mexico City will be entirely new to me, and I am very interested in getting to know it. My reading Spanish is passable, my speaking-and-listening Spanish not what I'd wish it to be (which is surprising after three years here, but I hope to improve it).

I'll be looking for a similar living situation to the one I've had here in Culiacan - a nice two-bedroom furnished apartment in a pleasant neighborhood. I live alone with three delightful cats, all adopted locally, who will be coming with me.

I will not have a car, so I'll be using public transportation, and taxicabs to some extent. I'm curious, is the subway system reasonably safe? I've heard that one has to be careful about street taxis (which I've had no trouble with in Culiacan).

I would certainly like to live close to the school I wind up at. In Culiacan I have a two-bus commute (the school where I work is not in a residential area). This takes 45 minutes in the morning, 75 minutes at night. Although I do get reading done on the bus, I'd like to reduce that time.

Any insights are appreciated, especially with respect to those two particular boroughs. What boroughs or parts of the city are to be avoided?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very generally speaking, you'll want to avoid the entire east end of the city, drawing a line at Tlalpan north to south (not so much for danger but as for inconvenience in transport).

Pretty much everything west, south, and southwest is middle to upper-class area.

The Cuajimalpa area is southwest Mexico City and mixed between very plush and middle class. It will be a bit difficult to find a 2 bedroom furnished apartment at a decent price.

A good area to be in at a decent price is San Miguel Chapultepec. You'll have a relatively decent commute at 30-45 minutes and your rental prices reasonable.

It's possible to check into the old part of Cuajimalpa and find very good prices on rentals. I've spent a lot of time recently in this area and really like the family feel of it, though it is now being surrounded by new money and big box store construction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Very generally speaking, you'll want to avoid the entire east end of the city, drawing a line at Tlalpan north to south (not so much for danger but as for inconvenience in transport).

Pretty much everything west, south, and southwest is middle to upper-class area.

The Cuajimalpa area is southwest Mexico City and mixed between very plush and middle class. It will be a bit difficult to find a 2 bedroom furnished apartment at a decent price.

A good area to be in at a decent price is San Miguel Chapultepec. You'll have a relatively decent commute at 30-45 minutes and your rental prices reasonable.

It's possible to check into the old part of Cuajimalpa and find very good prices on rentals. I've spent a lot of time recently in this area and really like the family feel of it, though it is now being surrounded by new money and big box store construction.

This is helpful, thanks! I can yield on the 2-bedroom idea (although I really do like the extra space) if I can find a spacious 1-bedroom. Harder to yield on the furnished part. I am told that many DF apartments do not come with rtefrigerators, but mine will have to.
mtiz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rent in Mexico City can be pretty high, especially for the kind of quality you may be used to. Housing can be one of the biggest expenses if you are not willing to compromise on some things. Public transport is super easy to use, the metro is great and is definitely safe, just guard your pockets, as on any metro anywhere.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:

This is helpful, thanks! I can yield on the 2-bedroom idea (although I really do like the extra space) if I can find a spacious 1-bedroom. Harder to yield on the furnished part. I am told that many DF apartments do not come with rtefrigerators, but mine will have to.

If you are planning on staying even a year you might be better off renting a bare apartment and just getting some usable furniture and a small fridge, as you will much more renting a place with all those things, it is NOT at all common in Mexico, even in upscale areas, and you could easily recoop what you pay for those things in savings on rent in just a few months. Also, you will be very limited in where you can live, since, it is very uncommon.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:

If you are planning on staying even a year you might be better off renting a bare apartment and just getting some usable furniture and a small fridge, as you will much more renting a place with all those things, it is NOT at all common in Mexico, even in upscale areas, and you could easily recoop what you pay for those things in savings on rent in just a few months. Also, you will be very limited in where you can live, since, it is very uncommon.

That's a thought. I guess I will be guided by my new employer in this area; the school has lots of experience placing international hires in apartments. So I'll see what they come up with first.

For some reason, furnished apartments are pretty abundantly available in Culiacan.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have experience in Mexico City, but in other parts of the country, it's not that hard to find a used fridge. Most repair places will sell refurbished ones and even give you a warranty of a couple of months on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: