Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barcelona vs. Madrid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Barcelona vs. Madrid Reply with quote

How would those of you on this board with experience teaching ESL in Barcelona and Madrid compare working and living in these two towns?

The question has come up before, but it was some years back, and I am curious to see how things may have changed.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too hopeful of an unbiased reply Wink !

I've never worked in Madrid, but I'd say (always assuming you like big cities) that there's not a lot to choose between them, either work or living wise. Very different, both lots of plusses, and drawbacks.

For anyone entering ESL in Spain, I'd suggest it's a mistake, however, to think "either Madrid or Barcelona". You want to be prepared to go wherever you can get a job, and that might be somewhere else, like Valencia, or Zaragoza, or Seville.
Yellowrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirKirby wrote:
Don't be too hopeful of an unbiased reply Wink !

I've never worked in Madrid, but I'd say (always assuming you like big cities) that there's not a lot to choose between them, either work or living wise. Very different, both lots of plusses, and drawbacks.

For anyone entering ESL in Spain, I'd suggest it's a mistake, however, to think "either Madrid or Barcelona". You want to be prepared to go wherever you can get a job, and that might be somewhere else, like Valencia, or Zaragoza, or Seville.

SirKirby,

I'll be moving to England around next January, but my hubby and I might want to get a small flat around Valencia in a few years and travel back and forth. Is there much age discrimination there or does it seem to be not much of an issue (or dependent on the person)? I have an MA in Multicultural Education (teaching EFL) and decades of experience as a technical writer and IT security professional (not much as EFL instructor). Is teaching for a school/uni possible or would private tutoring be more of a possibility? Money is not an extreme factor, but I would like to stay somewhat busy and pull in a bit of extra cash.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd says there is a certain amount of age discrimination in ELT, though perhaps not conscious.

Most ELT people tend to be young and though you do find people into the 50s and older (myself included Shocked ) they tend to be people who have been years in the same place (school).

As an older person trying to land your first ELT job in Spain, I think you would find you are at a disdvantage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: