Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking some advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Seeking some advice Reply with quote

Hey everyone. My name is Daniel and I'm from the UK.

I've recently completed my CELTA degree. I have a bachelor degree in Creative Writing too. I'm really interested in teaching in Asia, as I hear it's a good starting point for beginner teachers, and I'm really looking for a completely different cultural experience.

I've read through a lot of the boards, and the job listings. I'm really just here to ask for some advice for cities, or even countries that you think would be suitable for a first time teacher. I was considering Thailand but people have suggested I could make more money and have an easier time in Korea, or China.

Any advice at all about anything would be welcome. Not asking anyone to hold my hand or anything! But this is all kind of a bit overwhelming right now. I'm sure some of you know that feeling. I have about £1000 saved, which is around $1500, and hoping to get away as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time!
JoeKing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking some advice Reply with quote

Dannny wrote:

I've read through a lot of the boards, and the job listings. I'm really just here to ask for some advice for cities, or even countries that you think would be suitable for a first time teacher. I was considering Thailand but people have suggested I could make more money and have an easier time in Korea, or China.

Any advice at all about anything would be welcome. Not asking anyone to hold my hand or anything! But this is all kind of a bit overwhelming right now. I'm sure some of you know that feeling. I have about £1000 saved, which is around $1500, and hoping to get away as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time!
I would pretty much agree with the part in bold, at least for a first-timer, if for no other reason than both Korea and China usually provide an apartment - in Korea it's pretty much automatic, and in China it can vary, though you can keep looking until you find a position which offers it.. If you did have to get your own housing, then $1500 would not give you much of a cushion in case things went badly with the job, which is always a possibility(always good to have an exit strategy)! And that is the main thing that would worry me about Thailand - the startup costs...otherwise I'd say go for it.

Good Luck!
Dannny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay! Thanks for your help. Any particular area of South Korea anyone can recommend? I'd rather Korea than China. Korea was my third choice under Thailand and Vietnam originally Smile
JoeKing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannny wrote:
Oh okay! Thanks for your help. Any particular area of South Korea anyone can recommend? I'd rather Korea than China. Korea was my third choice under Thailand and Vietnam originally Smile
Depends on whether you want a big city, mid-size, or rural.....is nightlife important?

At the very least make sure the city you choose has a train station...I lived in the smallish city of Iksan....however it actually had a KTX stop, which was a huge plus! Made it easy to get up to Seoul or down to Yeosu or Busan in just a few hours.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea can't be discussed here. See:

"No Korea Related Postings Permitted on the Int'l Board"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=82496
Dannny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was directed here, sorry, and it was meant to be more of a general question seeking advice.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannny wrote:
I was directed here, sorry, and it was meant to be more of a general question seeking advice.

Korea is best for first timers. You should check out the Korean forum on this website.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Just remember if you choose to come to teach n Thailand it is steaming hot and humid most of the year...and you can expect to receive about 300 Thai Baths an hour teaching English in most schools. Also make sure you have medical and life insurance insurance before coming to the Land Of Smiles! Smile Smile Smile Smile
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have a CELTA, you will have the opportunity to teach in a quality language institute and be given a work visa. Korea is an utterly terrible place to teach IMHO. Most wind up teaching in a crappy hagwon with a demanding boss and equally demanding parents of spoilt brat children. You DON'T have to do this as you have a CELTA.

I suggest narrowing down what countries in Asia interest you. If you're not interested in the culture of a particular country, don't consider working there.

What countries interest you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: