Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Program in Laos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kunlao21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Short Program in Laos Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've not yet obtained my TESL but definitely look forward to doing so. Before that, my wife(Lao native) and I are planning a month-long trip to volunteer in central Laos teaching at the primary and middle schools she attended.

The program we're planning is a very informal 3-week English intro. It's certainly not intensive and of course, the "graduates" don't receive any sort of certification. It's more of just the novelty of their very new ESL students’ first exposure to native speakers. Perhaps just a participation award or something along those lines.

I'd like to ask the TESL community here for input and recommendations on a *very* basic lesson plan. Not a complete course for both groups, but rather, an idea of what's a reasonable goal by the end of the month… And areas of focus in getting there. Links to printable material, etc is certainly appreciated.

Here are a few details about the environment and myself which might help:

-I'm Lao American, but intend on English-only. Great with kids, but have never taught English
-Shooting for 3-1.5 hr meets a week for both schools each, AM for Primary, PM for Middle
-We will have access to a classroom every visit, desk, chairs, white/chalk board, power
-At least 9 months down, so plenty of time to print materials, etc.
-We’ve procured donations of pads, pencils and basic supplies
-They currently have a very basic ESL program, so I don’t intend to focus too much on alphabet/writing. More conversation and practice for the moment

I’ll be happy to answer questions or clarify anything to help clear up the situation. Any bit helps, so please fire away!

Cheers 
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Short Program in Laos Reply with quote

kunlao21 wrote:
I'd like to ask the TESL community here for input and recommendations on a *very* basic lesson plan. Not a complete course for both groups, but rather, an idea of what's a reasonable goal by the end of the month… And areas of focus in getting there. Links to printable material, etc is certainly appreciated.

Your post is a bit confusing. Are you looking for a lesson plan, which is typically taught in a 1 or 2-hour session? If so, there are plenty of ESL resources on the Internet; do a search using esl lessons.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A basic lesson is supposed to start with a warm-up activity that is fun and light. This is followed by the "3 P's" (presentation, practice and production). As mentioned there is a ton of resources on the web about teaching strategies and materials.

These two sites will get you started:

http://bogglesworldesl.com/

This has a lot of stuff for young learners. There is also a Lesson Plan Archive.

http://www.esldiscussions.com/

This has 20 questions for hundreds of topics appropriate for older, higher-level students. They can be opened as a word doc file and edited to correct mistakes, rewrite awkward sentences or delete weird questions.

Just curious, but is this your first trip to Laos?

Also, you say that you will be volunteering in central Laos teaching at the primary and middle schools your wife attended. Is this a particularly remote area of central Laos? How long ago was she a student there?

I just wonder because you mention "donations of pads, pencils and basic supplies". Yes, Lao PDR is still on the the UNDP's LDC list (Least Developed Countries); no offense, but is the village where you will be teaching really that impoverished?

Anyway, it would be interesting some to hear more details about the location , your progress and any other questions you have.

Oh, I just remembered this guy:

http://www.momobooks.org/

His books are specifically produced for what you're doing.
kunlao21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Namod for the response and lesson plan info. And apologies, I should clarify better that I was looking for insight as to what a good "result" would be upon completion of the visit. ie...

- Basic greetings/farewells
- Ask/answer names and age
- basic nouns/verbs
- "To be" present tense Conjugation
kunlao21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:

Just curious, but is this your first trip to Laos?

Also, you say that you will be volunteering in central Laos teaching at the primary and middle schools your wife attended. Is this a particularly remote area of central Laos? How long ago was she a student there?

I just wonder because you mention "donations of pads, pencils and basic supplies". Yes, Lao PDR is still on the the UNDP's LDC list (Least Developed Countries); no offense, but is the village where you will be teaching really that impoverished?

Thank you so much Sigmoid, these are great resources.

Yes this will be my first trip there. I should correct my info on Central Laos, as it's actually considered more in the Northern area.

As far as donations, it's not due to impoverished conditions, but moreso a student gift bag with standard school supplies and Go USA-type items(flag pencils, stickers, kids comics, etc )
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic-based lessons are usually used, especially with kids.

Greetings and Small Talk
School and the Classroom
Colors and Shapes
Time and Dates
Hobbies and Sports
Clothes and Accessories
Places
Transportation and Travel
Weather
Food and Restaurants

By the way, youtube has a lot of great videos, especially fun songs, such as The Hokey Pokey Song, etc.

Anyway, your gift pack idea sounds great, especially out in the countryside.

You may be surprised though at how sophisticated many of the kids in Vientiane are and how many big pickup trucks, flashy cars and powerful motorbikes are clogging the roads. Lots of construction and infrastructure projects going on, too.

Be sure to visit the Cope Visitor Center there if you have a chance:

http://www.copelaos.org/

In the end, you may find that one month is hardly enough. Although it is changing rapidly, Laos is still a great place and an incredible and unique experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: