Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New teachers thinking of coming to Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: so Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
So what exactly do you do Delph? Teach? Manage? Language School or one of those private IB type schools that have popped up?

I'm the head of foreign language teaching within an educational group, so I have broad oversight over anything taught in a foreign language including salary and contract negotiations. I work part time teaching creative subjects (art and drama, mainly) so I don't lose touch with the classroom, but my job is mainly working on different projects, especially those involving EU funding. A few other hats too, like being a network administrator and implementing e-learning solutions.

I could go full time into the office, but from a career development point of view - I need to stay on the Polish teacher work path. But part time here is 9 hours a week - not exactly demanding. As nothing happens in Poland over July and August anyway, I've got normal teacher holidays.

Working hours? any 8 hours I want, as long as it aligns with my teaching timetable.

Like I said, the jobs are there, but they aren't advertised. I got this one simply by knowing the right person at the right time.

Quote:
I'd love to know cos just a few days ago you were going on about teaching at VW in Swarzedz.

That was a while ago now, something like 4 years ago. Horrid place, and made me realise that sitting in TEFL as a teacher in a language school was a dreadful idea in the long run.
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delph wrote:

Quote:
I'm the head of foreign language teaching within an educational group....

ok, now you got me wondering. "head" of an "educational group"? what is that, exactly?
Post Mortem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: so Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:
So what exactly do you do Delph? Teach? Manage? Language School or one of those private IB type schools that have popped up?

I'm the head of foreign language teaching within an educational group, so I have broad oversight over anything taught in a foreign language including salary and contract negotiations. I work part time teaching creative subjects (art and drama, mainly) so I don't lose touch with the classroom, but my job is mainly working on different projects, especially those involving EU funding. A few other hats too, like being a network administrator and implementing e-learning solutions.

I could go full time into the office, but from a career development point of view - I need to stay on the Polish teacher work path. But part time here is 9 hours a week - not exactly demanding. As nothing happens in Poland over July and August anyway, I've got normal teacher holidays.

Working hours? any 8 hours I want, as long as it aligns with my teaching timetable.

Like I said, the jobs are there, but they aren't advertised. I got this one simply by knowing the right person at the right time.

Quote:
I'd love to know cos just a few days ago you were going on about teaching at VW in Swarzedz.

That was a while ago now, something like 4 years ago. Horrid place, and made me realise that sitting in TEFL as a teacher in a language school was a dreadful idea in the long run.

BINGO! We have a Winner ...
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

And you still take home a third of what I take home at most. Some victory Post Mortem. I wish I could be such a winner. However, 'it's the taking part that counts' I'm sure.

Dropping the 'European funding' bomb makes it sound really big but 1,500 quid is still 1,500 quid where I come from. That is a pittance in Europe in 2014.

Don't get me started on European funding either. Poland is having it right off.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
ok, now you got me wondering. "head" of an "educational group"? what is that, exactly?

What's so difficult to understand about it?

I work for a company that owns a few other companies. Each company runs an educational institution with public rights (and a couple of language schools). In our organisational structure, I look after foreign language teaching within the group of companies.

Post Mortem wrote:
BINGO! We have a Winner ...

Follow the money, that's all I can say.

dragonpiwo wrote:
And you still take home a third of what I take home at most. Some victory Post Mortem. I wish I could be such a winner. However, 'it's the taking part that counts' I'm sure.

But you spend most of your life away from your family. I don't. We all know the damage done to family relationships by absent parents and husbands, don't we?

dragonpiwo wrote:
Don't get me started on European funding either. Poland is having it right off.

Those with a clue in Poland know where the gravy train is. 2014-2020 promises to be very profitable for those with the right knowledge and connections.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"2014-2020 promises to be very profitable for those with the right knowledge and connections." That sounds like you have to be connected to the Warsaw equivalent of Cosa Nostra.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: but Reply with quote

The funding will end and then we'll see the truth. By 2020 very few on this board will be in Poland I'd guess.

Re the not being there all the time? Well, it works very well in our relationship. After crimbo I'll be home for 6 months every year, which I think is a lot of time off on full-pay.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
"2014-2020 promises to be very profitable for those with the right knowledge and connections." That sounds like you have to be connected to the Warsaw equivalent of Cosa Nostra.

Not really. A lot of it is knowing who can actually help - for instance, some help points are more useful than others. Or knowing how to actually fill in these applications so you get the maximum points available. A lot of people just fill them in blindly without paying attention to the details.

dragonpiwo wrote:
The funding will end and then we'll see the truth.

It's unlikely that the EU budget will decrease. The cohesion funding will change, but the money available for other projects will always be there.

Quote:
Re the not being there all the time? Well, it works very well in our relationship. After crimbo I'll be home for 6 months every year, which I think is a lot of time off on full-pay.

And your son? As others have pointed out, his father being absent most of the year doesn't really sound like much fun.

As for "after Christmas", you've been saying those things for years. It's always "next month", "next year", "soon", but it's always back to the sandpit for those 42/21 rotations.

Still, for all that money you supposedly earn, you're still spending your time split between a sandpit and a rather rubbish commuter town with some of the worst schools in existence.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a humble tefl teacher. I live in a nice flat in a modern city and go on nice holidays. I make substantially more than £1,500 a month. I save more money than I really know what to do with (something I have to fix, need to make my money work for me). I haven't had to "know the right people" or spend ages cultivating a market or pick up loads of bits of paper.

I just left Europe behind and used the experience to land a good job.

Europe is a tefl loser.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Yeah 'the one more trip' thing is called the Colombo effect.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a humble tefl teacher. I live in a nice flat in a modern city and go on nice holidays. I make substantially more than £1,500 a month. I save more money than I really know what to do with (something I have to fix, need to make my money work for me). I haven't had to "know the right people" or spend ages cultivating a market or pick up loads of bits of paper.

Good for you. It's not for everyone, though - I (like many others) prefer to 'cultivate the market' somewhere I actually like living, and to 'pick up loads of bits of paper' (I presume you mean qualifications) as it has led to a good job in a place where I like living on a daily basis. I've no reason whatsoever, including financial, to go anyplace; I live where I intend to retire.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Good for you. It's not for everyone, though - I (like many others) prefer to 'cultivate the market' somewhere I actually like living, and to 'pick up loads of bits of paper' (I presume you mean qualifications) as it has led to a good job in a place where I like living on a daily basis. I've no reason whatsoever, including financial, to go anyplace; I live where I intend to retire.

Yeah, several different motivating factors out there. Retirement, adventure, language acquisition, cultural exposure, searching for opportunity.....money (LMAO!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Yeah, several different motivating factors out there. Retirement, adventure, language acquisition, cultural exposure, searching for opportunity.....money (LMAO!).

Even dress code matters. I can go to work in shorts, sandals and a t-shirt and no-one bats an eyelid. Having to wear a suit to work would be hell, and even having to wear trousers and a shirt would be bad enough.

For me, having to deal with Asian learners would drive me insane.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me, having to deal with Asian learners would drive me insane

Ditto!

ME learners also drive me to drink.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
ecocks wrote:

Even dress code matters. I can go to work in shorts, sandals and a t-shirt and no-one bats an eyelid. Having to wear a suit to work would be hell, and even having to wear trousers and a shirt would be bad enough.

For me, having to deal with Asian learners would drive me insane.

For some, I suppose picking a place based upon perception of students's learning styles and classroom behaviors falls into the cultural consideration. Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia never really interested me. Japan, Nepal, China seemed more intriguing.

Even dress code would factor in for some (still cultural but some places are more relaxed even allowing for country norms). There have been teachers who hve shown up in flip-flops and sunglasses, some in suits, after a bit you've seen a wide array.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: