Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Libya Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Oh really? Reply with quote

Just give this a read will ya?

http://www.libyaherald.com/2014/07/13/libya-dawn-islamist-movement-calls-on-liberal-qaaqaa-and-sawaiq-brigades-to-leave-tripoli/#axzz37GjhJeTX

or

http://www.libyaherald.com/2014/07/13/violent-clashes-at-tripoli-international-airport/#axzz37GjhJeTX

So it's quiet where you are? I think not.
beachtime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Libya Reply with quote

I am not near the International airport. I am closer to Mitiga airport, near the Cornishe, which is more east. The airport is south, and some of the other trouble is in the west - closer to Janzoor.

If you are unhappy with the situation, you can always leave, and get your exit visa. If you are looking to make alot of money, why not try Saudi?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My EFL colleagues have told me everything is fine in Misrata and that they are happy teaching there. Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Look, I've been here almost a decade, so I'll leave when I want thanks. There's only 1 job I've seen in Saudi which pays more than I make, so keep your career suggestions to yourself.

My agenda is this: Libya is not safe, schools are paying atrocious salaries and I couldn't care less if some beatniks from Thailand are living it up. I was in Misrata a few weeks ago and it ain't even close to being fine. They are happy because they are blissfully unaware of the environment they are in. Certain organizations target teachers from Thailand (TQLS is another) because they know the teachers are skint.

We have security officers and get to know what is actually going on. The kind who send 2 cars to pick up 1 person from the airport. The number of robberies, carjackings, threats to western interests etc is pretty darn high. We had a fatal shooting just a few days ago.

For you to be suggesting that Tripoli is 'quiet' is just irresponsible. You must need to recruit people.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libya's main international airport in Tripoli has been hit by a new rocket attack a day after fighting closed it down.

There are no longer any flights from Libya to and from the EU as the small regional airports still functioning do not meet EU safety standards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28304004
beachtime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Libya update Reply with quote

All I have said is that the area where I am living and working is quiet.

I have not made any comments on areas that I do not know.

The latest airport hit does put a different perspective on things, but I came to Libya knowing that nothing was clear cut, and anything could happen. I knew the country was unstable.

Like others, I knew the situation could change at any time, and it has. It is now a matter of sitting it out for a few days and see what transpires.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Yep...sitting it out because we can't actually leave. No doubt they'll use Matiga airport. However, the control tower at Trip International is now no more, so air traffic control may be an issue. One thing's for sure, we can't head east.

Maybe Turkish Airlines will resume flights some time soon but BA etc? I doubt it.

Libya update=FUBAR/SNAFU.

Take your pick.

And yes, SOME people may understand the risks.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my EFL colleagues everything is calm here in Misrata...teachers are happy and looking forward to the Eid Break. No worries at all! Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

And how exactly are they going to go on Eid break?

All the airports are closed, including Misrata.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

$2,000/3,000 a month for Libya, a war zone? they must be really desperate.

When we get CVs from single males who have done a lot of time in Thailand, we simply throw them away. I can only imagine what nut jobs this lot are.

Enjoying Misrata! Laughable.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest advice from the British FCO:

"The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:

The coastal areas from the Tunisian border to Misrata, including Tripoli and the towns of the Jebel Nafusa.

The coastal areas from Ras Lanuf to the Egyptian border, with the exception of Benghazi and Derna.

The FCO advise against all travel to all other parts of Libya, including Benghazi and Derna.

On 13 July 2014, Tripoli International Airport was closed following clashes that broke out between armed groups in the area surrounding the airport. Contact your airline or travel company for further information before travelling.

Since December 2013, a number of foreign nationals have been shot dead in Libya. Further attacks against foreigners are likely and could be opportunistic.

There is a high threat from terrorism including kidnapping. Since January 2014, a number of foreign nationals have been kidnapped, including in Tripoli. See Terrorism

Avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings of people. If you become aware of any nearby violence you should leave the area immediately. Violent clashes between armed groups are possible across the country, including in Tripoli, particularly at night. Fighting can break out in many places and at short notice. It can become serious quickly putting those in the area at risk. You should remain vigilant at all times.

Keep a low profile and try to limit travelling around as much as possible, particularly at night. There is a high threat from crime."

Seems very clear to me......
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

This is the sit as I know it.

Malta may take over air traffic control.

Ad hoc international flights are happening. There is talk of flights from Misurata and some from Maetiga. Rumours that Zuwara and Sirte will be trying to host international carriers and Labrak near Beida is operating but I'm not sure if it's still got the foreign nationals ban in place.

According to reports from locals, the Zintanis are now in the ascendancy vis-à-vis the Tripoli turf war. Apparently all the tribes are against the Misratans too, the big ones anyway.

The Tunisian border has been crossed by quite a few now and the embassy reports no incidents.
slaqdog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: its all over Reply with quote

No flights out(was on rotation in an oil field); went the land route via the Tunisian border, a long but safe journey. Looks like Libya is finished as a destination for quite a long time, cant get in cant get out and not safe. Tunisia on the other hand is wonderful shame there are no paying gigs.
Lucky to get out unharmed the impression the Libyans give is that now they have driven all the foreign workers out they will sink into the mire and compete with Somalia for self harm. Expect a long period of chaos.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Slaqdog Reply with quote

Good you made it old friend. For those in Libya still wondering our two escapers made a successful home run. They got to Tripoli, went to the embassy who sorted them with a trusted taxi firm and got to Djerba in Tunisia. Taxi from Tripoli to Tunisia was 500 LYD (250 GBP) and it passed without incident.

We're still waiting for the company plane as doing the runner isn't a safe option at all. Safety in numbers and a company plan is the better way.

I think Slaqdog's prognosis is on the money even if the Libyan companies are already making plans for our next rotations!!!!!!! We've had death threats here on the compound in the past week.

Time to go. Can't wait to get home.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay safe all y'all. Glad I got out when I did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: