Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mid-life career change to ESL teacher in Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
I don't want to be in the situation where I just start a job and have to tell them "oh by the way I have to make a border run to renew my tourist visa."

FWIW

I do know of English teachers who have been deported for working on tourist visas. Not common but not unheard of. I strongly advise against that.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have been explaining to possible employers that you will be needing a work visa? Otherwise they may assume you already have permission to work. As Mother F mentioned, people have beend deported for working on Tourist Vias, I heard from a friend in Mexico City that her school got rid of about half their teachers and are desperately looking for teachers, because they got a ¨tip¨ that the school was in line for a raid. And about half the teachers were working under the table, so....... (If you are in Mexico City, and legal to work, send me an PM if you are looking for a job.)
Jultime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm aware that I need a work visa and have made potential employers aware of this also. I really don't want to be working illegally
Jultime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I applied to the language schools here in Oaxaca a month ago and have not heard anything. I'm not committed to anything here in Oaxaca so I can easily make a move to another city.

I have to vacate my little apartment on Feb 15 so now its time for me to do some serious thinking about where I want to go.

I'm pretty open, I'd like to work for an employer who'll sponsor me for a work visa. I really don't want to work in DF, I did not enjoy it while I was there for the CELTA.

I'm not in a panic, I've enough funds to survive.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

As for Oaxaca....its a lovely city with nice people but too many political problems. There are daily blocqueos for one reason or another. These have been increasing over the last 3 weeks.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that things aren't working out in Oaxaca, Jultime. Up until now, your transition into ESL teaching has been pretty smooth sailing. Bumps in the road, however, are part of the game. You might try sending a PM to Fitzgerald, who has posted numerous times on these forums, as he recently made the transition from Mexico City to Queretaro and, it seems, may have already developed some good contacts over there.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:

As for Oaxaca....its a lovely city with nice people but too many political problems. There are daily blocqueos for one reason or another. These have been increasing over the last 3 weeks.

You are going to run into that no matter where you do. We tried to go to the capital of Zacatecas yesterday and there was a protest so the bus had to turn around. Mexico in general has a LOT of problems right now and that is not likely to change, so I fear that trying to factor that in is not going to help. Perhaps a mid sized city would be more to your liking? Or, living on the outskirts of Mexico City, perhaps in Tlapan or somewhere south where there is ALWAYS a lot of work - and often with better pay than more centrally located class because most people don´t want to make the hike there. I can understand not wanting to live in the center of Mexico City, but that really is where the best paid work is.
Jultime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing my life has never been perfect sailing....I fully expected running into bumps in the road along my way in my new career. Life is an adventure to be enjoyed.

I feel better already having made the decision to leave Oaxaca. I'm in contact with a few people so will see how things work out.

Its a new adventure...new places to see, new friends, new food, new experiences and no blizzards in Mexico.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Good thing my life has never been perfect sailing....I fully expected running into bumps in the road along my way in my new career. Life is an adventure to be enjoyed.

I feel better already having made the decision to leave Oaxaca. I'm in contact with a few people so will see how things work out.

Its a new adventure...new places to see, new friends, new food, new experiences and no blizzards in Mexico.

You've clearly got the kind of outlook on life that is conducive to surviving and even thriving in the somewhat precarious world of TEFL. And, most importantly, the bonus of no blizzards Smile
Jultime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been staying in a hostel in Mexico City for a couple of weeks now. There are jobs here in DF but I do not like this massive city and have no desire in any bone in my body to commute.

So I'm applying outside the city. Have a Skype interview coming up on Tuesday.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Jultime wrote:

You are going to run into that no matter where you do. We tried to go to the capital of Zacatecas yesterday and there was a protest so the bus had to turn around. Mexico in general has a LOT of problems right now and that is not likely to change, so I fear that trying to factor that in is not going to help.

But wouldn't you say, BBB, that Oaxaca is more active politically than most, or at least many, cities? Of course, political protest can happen anywhere, but it does seem to be a notable feature of life in Oaxaca.

BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:

But wouldn't you say, BBB, that Oaxaca is more active politically than most, or at least many, cities? Of course, political protest can happen anywhere, but it does seem to be a notable feature of life in Oaxaca.

It is a part of life in Oaxaca, and yes, perhaps more than some other places, but probably not more than DF. There is just a lot of unrest wherever you go. And I suspect over the next few years it will get ¨worse¨ (use of the word worse being subjective, for most foreigners it seems to be a bother, nothing more, for some it is seen as part of what is needed for things to change) before it gets better, if it does get better.
Jultime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I've accepted a full-time position in Queretaro, I officially start orientation on Tuesday March 17. This school has what I think is good pay and benefits. One of my CELTA classmates is already working there and she reports being quite happy with her job.

So now I will embark on finding a nice room to rent not too far from the school and not too far from the centro.

I have to add for anyone following my journey that I did not try very hard to find a job. I am sure I could have found plenty of work in Mexico City had I wanted to stay there. I had only sent out a few resumes outside of Mexico City and was offered a very low paying job in San Luis Potosi. I was referred to my new job by my former CELTA classmate. My plan was to come to Queretaro to look for work before I was referred for this job.

I'm so happy to be here in Queretaro, I couldn't get over how quiet and clean it is after Mexico City.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!! It's been a long journey, but you're finally made it. I look forward to hearing how things work out once you've been on the job for awhile.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jultime! I've been following your story, and am very happy to learn you've found full-time work in an agreeable place!

Keep us updated on the details, please. How do you like your new job? Did you find a good living situation? Are you meeting folks and enjoying the city?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:

I'm so happy to be here in Queretaro, I couldn't get over how quiet and clean it is after Mexico City.

It´s great that you have found a situation that is to your liking! For most people, moving away from Mexico City is an upgrade, no matter where you go. While there are things about Mexico City I miss, it is mostly my old neighborhood, where there are people I have known since I was a teenager, and the ease of being able to buy anything at all that you need. I haven´t been back except once for a week in August of 2013 and have no plans to go any time soon. My husband usually goes a couple of times a year (with a long shopping list) and that is good enough for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: