Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paying taxes to USA from job in Mexico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golfsuper41

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Paying taxes to USA from job in Mexico Reply with quote

I´ve been accepted to teach at UAQ in San Juan Del Rio and have just returned from the local Mexican tax office for the paperwork required for my job and taxes to be withheld. I am wondering about the payment of taxes, filing of taxes, and such since I am still a USA citizen. I know Uncle Sam will want to have some part of my pay even though I am living here full time. Any information or websites would be appreciated. Never to early to start thinking about next tax season.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Paying taxes to USA from job in Mexico Reply with quote

golfsuper41 wrote:
I´ve been accepted to teach at UAQ in San Juan Del Rio and have just returned from the local Mexican tax office for the paperwork required for my job and taxes to be withheld. I am wondering about the payment of taxes, filing of taxes, and such since I am still a USA citizen. I know Uncle Sam will want to have some part of my pay even though I am living here full time. Any information or websites would be appreciated. Never to early to start thinking about next tax season.

No, you won't have to worry about it. If you are resident abroad, you qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which is adjusted yearly but in 2013 was $97,600.

However, don't forget to file. Many expats don't bother, and I don't think that is wise; it could lead to complications later.
golfsuper41

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks for the information. Now a question as far as State taxes. The last state I lived in was South Carolina and paid taxes to them. I am originally from KY and am now using that as my address for all paperwork, since all my family lives there and I have no ties to SC. I have built a house here and have no intentions of returning except for a vacation here and there. Thanks again
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

golfsuper41 wrote:
Perfect, thanks for the information. Now a question as far as State taxes. The last state I lived in was South Carolina and paid taxes to them. I am originally from KY and am now using that as my address for all paperwork, since all my family lives there and I have no ties to SC. I have built a house here and have no intentions of returning except for a vacation here and there. Thanks again

State taxes are tricky, I'm not sure about that. I'm lucky that my U.S. address is in Nevada, where there is no personal income tax and I therefore don't have to file.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Paying taxes to USA from job in Mexico Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
golfsuper41 wrote:

No, you won't have to worry about it. If you are resident abroad, you qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which is adjusted yearly but in 2013 was $97,600.

However, don't forget to file. Many expats don't bother, and I don't think that is wise; it could lead to complications later.

Only once you are a bona fide resident abroad, the first year he will likely have to pay in the US. There is lots of info on the IRS website about just that thing and how to determine if you qualify for the Foreign Earned Income deduction.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoiding state taxes is why I decided to close out my remaining financial accounts in the US once I decided I was staying indefinitely in Mexico. I was paying Missouri state tax on the "unearned income" that my meager savings account was generating. Rolling Eyes

The bad news is not maintaining an address anywhere in the US makes certain other things more complicated, like absentee voting which is easier done through a country office in the days of e-voting.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The bad news is not maintaining an address anywhere in the US makes certain other things more complicated, like absentee voting which is easier done through a country office in the days of e-voting

I've voted from abroad for 15+ years. I can't vote in state elections, but I can vote in national elections in the state of my last residence (Virginia, in my case).
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to say it wasn't possible to vote. I have voted in the presidential elections. But I see my colleagues who have maintained a state residency vote every year and very easily (in some states, not as easily in others).
I just wanted to point out a possible con. But for me the pro of not paying Missouri tax on interest in a savings account is worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: