Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA, three years experience but no degree - chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archie Rice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: CELTA, three years experience but no degree - chances? Reply with quote

38 year old British male, 3 years experience teaching in company. I have a certificate of higher education, which is basically the first year of a BA course, but no degree.

I have worked in Spain, Czech and Hungary and never had any problem with work. I've only ever had 4 interviews for teaching positions, 3 of which resulted in being hired. I realise these are all in the eu, how different are my chances in Thailand?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of EFL teaching work in Thailand...but with no degree you will not get a work permit and will have to be at the mercy of your Thai employer and do regular visa runs. saving money here is out of the question. Good luck! Smile
Archie Rice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - what are the consequences of working without a work permit? I'm a great believer in not messing around with the laws of foreign countries...
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I would say roughly half of all the EFL teachers in Thailand are teaching English without a work permit.... the consequences could be serious if caught...penalties and deportation etc. Good luck! Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archie Rice wrote:
Thanks - what are the consequences of working without a work permit? I'm a great believer in not messing around with the laws of foreign countries...

Without a degree there is NO CHANCE of long term employment in Asia due to requirements instituted by AEC (ASEAN integration). The degree will be a (legal) requirement in ALL of the ASEAN + 6 to work as a "teacher".

Can you do it (find work) = yes.

Are there risks and consequences = yes and under the current Junta probably more so than in the past. The risks are real.

There has been a crackdown on border runs (began in May) and as of Aug people doing repeated back to back (land) border runs (3) without an actual visa will be denied entry back into Thailand, at the border and without notice (meaning anything left in Thailand while you do your border run is probably lost to you). http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/409467/cops-launch-crackdown-on-visa-runners

After Aug they will also include air as well as land crossings.

There will be bans on re-entry for people who are in an overstay situation. The length of the ban will be from 6-months to life depending on the length of the overstay. Fines and detention are also part of the process. http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Immigration-looks-enforce-life-ban-overstays-within/31105#ad-image-0

People presenting false documents may also be prosecuted for visa fraud (and when convicted will receive lengthy prison terms).

People who simply work on a tourist visa in addition to the above potential hazards also risk (however small the chance may be) being arrested for immigration and labor law violations, fined and deported at their own expense (or held in detention until the means to depart are arranged).

Life here is not like it was 5 or 10 years ago and don't let the guys who left here 5-10years ago tell you otherwise.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is still truly an amazing place to teach English...with or without a degree...Enjoy the Land of smiles! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: