Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Staying long term in Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavers44

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Staying long term in Spain Reply with quote

Hi there, I have a quick question about long term careers prospects in Spain. How much opportunity is there to "advance" after being there for a few years, or do you have to move somewhere else to much more than the starting salaries (which seem to be around 1000 to 1200 euro a month judging by the research I have done).

The reason I ask is that if I chose to permanently settle in Spain (I am an EU citizen btw) I wouldn't mind the relatively low pay for a while, but when I come to have a family etc down the line, well, I hear children can be expensive.

Look forward to your responses!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked with some partners in Spanish universities for about 10 years. It's possible to work your way up the ladder, though keep in mind that salaries are generally low in Spain overall and in teaching/academic it's no different.

The usual route is to settle somewhere (larger cities more lucrative and more job opps, but also higher cost of living). Build your local reputation, contacts, and language skills. Upgrade your qualifications (DELTA, MA TESL/TEFL or Applied Linguistics are the usual choices). Make sure you're on hand for the better job openings that come available. These usually range from working directly in a corporation to uni jobs to international school gigs. There are jobs, but not plentiful and once people get a better job they tend to keep it, so not frequent turnover.

Dues paying is to be expected, but I do know quite a few teachers who, with commitment to the task, have done quite ok over time.

So far as children, two income families are more feasible than families with one, as is true almost everywhere these days!
mavers44

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply spiral that's some solid advice, and kind of what I was hoping for. I know that no one teaches in Spain to get rich, its just nice to know that there is some possibility to progress at some point.

I'm thinking of going to Valencia because it is a decent size but not massive and relatively inexpensive compared to the big two.

Thanks again.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! It can work, and maybe you'll stumble into something great right off the bat, but don't get discouraged if it takes some time and dues must be paid.
mavers44

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.

While I am here I have one further question.

I've also noticed that the contracts are 9 or 10 months usually, and a lot of the teachers find summer school jobs in the other months.

Is this usually a gig for new teachers or do long term teachers have to do this if they want to stay in Spain and work over the summer? Are there other opportunities for them?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Outside of university or international school work ( paid year-round), contracts are mostly Sept/Oct - June. Summer schools are the usual bridge, and yes, 'older hands' are also employed at them. The problem is that other than kiddies, no-one much wants to work on their English in this time period. You might find some direct corporate gig that does what amounts to intensive courses for some employees in this time frame, but this wouldn't be common or plentiful (check with KPMG for example).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: