Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Phuket or Chiang Mai
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
Tazz wrote:
Lousy pay, backpacker housing, working on tourist visa's, high chance of dismissal for no apparent reason.....why do people continue to flock to these places to work? Why not come here for extended vacation when you've made your money....in the gulf, for instance?

Something that's always baffled me.

Why not do a year or two elsewhere, work towards additional qualifications while you're there, and then come back and make some proper money while being able to enjoy life a little more?

Reading the horror stories on here makes me wonder if some people are actually masochistic.

Ohhhh the dream lives on! Teachin' English with just a cheap'o cert... drinking booze, chasing skirts, feeling self-important, posting pics to FB, tropical breezes, smiling faces, friendly places...ahhh the TEFL newbie/wannabe "dream" which is how most of those cheap'o TEFL courses advertise... Pics of palm tress & smiling "locals" just waiting to greet you, as you "change the world" through teaching EFL... Making dreams come true! Rolling Eyes
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Thailand worth the low wages? If you can afford it i.e. pension or pretty young, yes.
adaruby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
Is Thailand worth the low wages? If you can afford it i.e. pension or pretty young, yes.

If you're older and looking to just pass the time then fair enough, but taking home a full time salary of just 600 quid a month AND being treated like a mug by your employer isn't my idea of happiness- no matter how many days a year the sun shines for.

What sort of life is that for a young lad/woman in a relatively expensive city like Bangkok?
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
plumpy nut wrote:

If you're older and looking to just pass the time then fair enough, but taking home a full time salary of just 600 quid a month AND being treated like a mug by your employer isn't my idea of happiness- no matter how many days a year the sun shines for.

What sort of life is that for a young lad/woman in a relatively expensive city like Bangkok?

This is my image of what it's like to work in Thailand. I worked there; however, I was younger. Most have returned home or gone on to the Middle East or Korea or Japan.

However, as plumpynut suggest, if you are older and have other income from a pension or investments, then you won't need to worry so much about making ends meet.

I think that, and plumpynut mentioned this, Thailand could be good for the very young or the financially secure older teachers who do not have to rely on their teaching income.

But for the middle aged teachers who still have 20 - 25 years remaining, Thailand is a disastrous choice for a TEFL career.

Head to North East Asia and make your money there. Take your vacations in Thailand. Then, after 20 years, retired in Thailand if you love it so much.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES I agree Thailand is great for financially secure, older EFL teachers!! Very Happy
SiThep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is still better than Indonesia though. Half of the teachers in Indonesia aren't even given work visas. Schools give them a social or cultural visa, tell them that it's as the same as a work visa (which is utter BS) and then hope they don't get caught. Some have ended up spending time in jail or being deported because their school lied to them. I got lucky with my school but it seems half the guys here are working illegally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: