Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easiest state to get Teacher Certification? (w/ Praxis II)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for the sarcasm. Besides, I never stated that the OP wanted to teach in the US. It's obvious his/her intent was to obtain US certification regardless of where he/she wanted to teach. Anyway, the OP dropped this idea more than a month ago and is now focusing on getting a TEFL cert for Thailand and Cambodia.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
It's obvious his/her intent was to obtain US certification regardless of where he/she wanted to teach. Anyway, the OP dropped this idea more than a month ago and is now focusing on getting a TEFL cert for Thailand and Cambodia.

And it should be equally obvious that my previous post was "relevant" to the comment in the post I quoted (regarding government requirements in CHINA), and that my further comments were "relevant" to the OP's stated goals and intentions (regardless of the thread title or placement). I'm glad to know the OP has changed his or her plans to be more in line with goals and intentions. In any case, be the thread alive or dead, I have provided information which is "relevant" to what the OP put forward in it, no more and no less.

Sarcasm is in the ear or eye of the ... 'nuff said.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sarcasm is in the ear or eye of the ... 'nuff said."

Can the same be said of, say, self-righteousness?" Very Happy

Regards,
John
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might apply to that, as well as to the relative value of taking pithy potshots from the bleachers. Have you happened to have done that some 12,052 times, by any chance? Very Happy
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that should have been "twelve thousand, five hundred and two".
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear mysterytrain,

I like to think that all my remarks are full of pith. But I'm not in the bleachers; I always have grandstand seats. Very Happy

Regards,
John
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John (haha),

Congratulations, your count's gone up. If you could sell all those babies for a nickel apiece, you'd be sure to always get the best seats in the park. Laughing

(Common law) legal definition, "opening the door":

"'Opening the door' is a common law legal doctrine that allows for the admission of inadmissible evidence by a party after an opposing party has “opened the door” to it by first introducing inadmissible evidence at trial. Evidence is admitted under the doctrine when deemed necessary to counter the evidence that opened the door. Whether or not to allow such curative evidence is at the trial court’s discretion at both civil and criminal trials."

Now, substitute "irrelevant" for "inadmissible" and "admin / moderator" for "trial court" (if you'll bear with me).

It can certainly be argued, as I would, that the OP "opened the door" when he / she mentioned that the intention behind seeking a state certification, in his or her specific case, was to improve his / her chances of obtaining a desired teaching position "abroad" and that s/he was not interested in pursuing a teaching job in North America, or at least "not in the state that I will get certified" (sic).

The "irrelevant evidence" was thus brought before the court. In my opinion, at this point, the "door was opened" to discussion of requirements for said "teaching jobs abroad", an opinion which apparently was shared by member Welcheronymous when he /she posted:

Quote:
Getting a CELTA is a good idea as many countries are moving towards wanting to see some kind of training to get a visa. Technically I think China requires some kind of TESOL class (it doesn't have to be a CELTA, just a course like it) though there may be some flexibility depending on which province one works in.

At this juncture, an opportunity presented itself for a dire warning about the "irrelevance" of the comment, but none was forthcoming: not from the trial court (admin or mod), nor from any self-appointed town crier.

However, directly subsequent to my further comments on Welcheronymous's observation, the pronouncement was issued with haste that the post was "not relevant to North America nor to obtaining US teaching certification to teach children". And I have agreed that my post was indeed not relevant to those matters. It was, however, entirely relevant to the OP's stated goal of using such certification as a means to obtain "teaching jobs abroad".

For anyone bothering to read the entire thread (all three pages of it), I see no reason for the assumption of "confusion" caused by my post(s) to apply. It should be more than sufficiently clear (again, my opinion) to a discerning readership, in context, what my posts were about and what they were "relevant to".

In closing, I do not see the point in someone pointing out the (fairly obvious) irrelevance of my post(s) to the issue of obtaining state certification to teach children, nor the jurisdiction of North America generally, and I take mild umbrage at that point being made.

Is a discussion of the correct usage and meaning of the term "begging the question" relevant to North America or state certification? Hmm ... seems like somebody was pickin' on little ol' me.

I rest my case.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! This is a teechers bored!
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear mysterytrian,

Hmm, not too pithy.

Can umbrage be mild? Only the Shadow knows. Very Happy

Regards,
John
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear mysterytrian,

Can umbrage be mild? Only the Shadow knows. Very Happy

Regards,
John

Maybe not, John, but I'll take a gamp at it ... Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear mysterytrain,

An umbrella?

gamp
British informal , dated
An umbrella, especially a large unwieldy one:
he stuck his gamp in the hallstand

Of course, umbrellas do cast a shadow. Very Happy

Regards,
John
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"'Veni, vidi, vici'? Sorry love, don't speak Celtic!"

(Doctor Who, the Shadow's arch-nemesis)
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: