Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Qatar, spousal visa, EAL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Moving to Qatar, spousal visa, EAL Reply with quote

Me again, sorry.

So boyf has got a job in Qatar as a school teacher. We were wondering if we get married and I then accompany him as his Mrs on a spousal visa, am I eligible to work over there? And how much EAL work is flying around after September's hiring period is done?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information about finding work as a trailing spouse can be found via an Internet search using working spouse qatar. In terms of what jobs you could get, it's hard to say without knowing what your qualifications are. But generally, a teaching license + relevant experience is required for international schools and a related MA + experience for university positions.
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding, NomadSoul.

CELTA+3 years experience and I'm more interested in IH/Berlitz-type private language school gigs because that's what I'm qualified for. The internet tells me there are many such private language schools in Qatar, but what I am having trouble finding out is if they only hire in summer for September, or if it's like in most other countries where it's a constant revolving door and you're best to just rock up with a CV when you're there in the country.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private language schools in the Gulf tend to do local hire teachers as needed. They don't provide foreign hire contracts with benefits.

I assume that it will be your best, most flexible, option. The pay won't be stellar and probably not predictable as it depends on their student numbers.

VS
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, very helpful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: