Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the scene in Indonesia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTravel32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a skype interview about 1 or 1.5 years ago with a good international school where I was one of the finalists for the position but did not get the job, sadly. It sounded like a real nice gig though, would have paid about 4,000 USD, 12 months of the year plus a contract completion bonus (after 2 years) of one months salary. Plus they would have supported me in obtaining either my masters or teachers certification if I decided to pursue one or the other (which I would have), paying for half after completion. Offered housing, transit to and from school and meals. Sounded more like a ME package, which is the only other place I have seen that kind of package but never come close to qualifying for those jobs.

One of the hold ups on their end was my foreign wife and also my education, just a BA. I guess they went with someone with a masters in the end, makes sense. The guy I interviewed, the owner, seemed nice enough. Skype video call must have lasted 45 to 60 minutes. I still feel, throughout my career, that is the one job that really got away and easily the most I would have made teaching abroad by double. I think I could have been happy there and built something nice as I continued to pursue higher EDU.

All that to say, I have some doubts that 1000 is the going rate in 2018 and quoting such a low rate seems more like a scare tactic to keep competition away. But who knows, perhaps it is true. Maybe language schools pay low, like anywhere, but I am sure there are some high salaries to be found. If you have the credentials and experience, don't sell yourself short. I made and continue to make way more than stated "going rate" salaries in Latin America. 1.5x, 2x or even 2.5x what some people quote for the region. I do not think it is always as bad as people claim but again, here and on fbook, people tend to quote low salaries when newbies inquire, but again, in a tone that seems to discourage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: