Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beijing-Dublin International College

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajmci

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Beijing-Dublin International College Reply with quote

This is a recent partnership between University College Dublin and Beijing University of Technology. They're looking for teachers for Sep 2014.

Anyone know anything of this institute?
Convoy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about the actual institute but I'd imagine it's legitimate. I went to UCD and got my degree there, it's the second university in Ireland after Trinity. The signing of the partnership was witnessed by the current president of China (at the time vice) and leader of Ireland and official opening attended by the Irish Education Minister so I can't imagine they'd want any bad press by acting shady
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they offering?
eihpos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that ad too and was interested because of the Irish connection (I didn't do my degree there but I am Irish and know the uni) They are offering 120,000 p/a, 2000 housing allowance, paid vacations etc. I would apply for it myself if I hadn't already accepted another position. It's the first joint venture China - Ireland College, as far as I know.
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
I noticed that ad too and was interested because of the Irish connection (I didn't do my degree there but I am Irish and know the uni) They are offering 120,000 p/a, 2000 housing allowance, paid vacations etc. I would apply for it myself if I hadn't already accepted another position. It's the first joint venture China - Ireland College, as far as I know.

Not bad but not the best. Depending on the other conditions e.g. what requirements they ask for (MA?) and job details like teaching hours etc. it could be worth it for someone.

BUT it's important to remember it's Beijing - pollution + higher cost of living. 2,000 won't get you anything but a room in most places of the city.

Last edited by Shroob on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
eihpos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, you would have to settle for an apartment share. They are saying CELTA/some cert preferred, and the obligatory 2 years. And the salary, well, better than Wall Street as they say teaching hours are 14 - 21 45 min classes! Overall, not bad for someone with minimum qualifications and experience
Shroob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
That's true, you would have to settle for an apartment share. They are saying CELTA/some cert preferred, and the obligatory 2 years. And the salary, well, better than Wall Street as they say teaching hours are 14 - 21 45 min classes! Overall, not bad for someone with minimum qualifications and experience

For someone with a CELTA and 2 years, I don't think that's a bad deal. Especially if it's 14 periods! 21 may be pushing it for the pay though.

Also worth considering is the face that they may also offer on-campus accommodation but advertise an allowance for those that don't want it.

Equally, I could see this being a good step on the ladder for someone looking to work their way up. It would look much better on a C.V. than your average Chinese uni.
ajmci

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:

For someone with a CELTA and 2 years, I don't think that's a bad deal. Especially if it's 14 periods! 21 may be pushing it for the pay though.

Also worth considering is the face that they may also offer on-campus accommodation but advertise an allowance for those that don't want it.

Nope, they don't; I asked!

I agree it could look more prestigious than your 'normal' Chinese university; the possibility of doing a subsidised Masters is also tempting me, though that may be wishful thinking on my part
TheCall1234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that they are advertising again. Wondering if anybody has worked for them? There is not much information online.
CKM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the current salary on offer is MUCH higher than the one posted from the original thread from five years ago (pre-bump).

Warm regards,
twowheel
TheCall1234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
Hopefully the current salary on offer is MUCH higher than the one posted from the original thread from five years ago (pre-bump).

Warm regards,
twowheel

It isn't.
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCall1234 wrote:
twowheel wrote:

Warm regards,
twowheel

It isn't.

yikes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: