Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Taiwan (Finances).

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Closetothedge07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Teaching in Taiwan (Finances). Reply with quote

Hello, I currently work in South Korea, and upon visiting Taiwan, I fell in love with the country and found it fit my personality, and I have an interest in teaching there next year after finishing my contract here. I still have ample student loans however and am worried about paying those off. I have done some research and gotten a few answers, but I am looking for clarification from the trusted Dave's users.

1) I hear you must pay for rooming and flights
2) I hear you work less teaching hours but do not get paid for preps.
Can anyone elucidate the situation for me a little. I have to pay roughly $400 a month for student loans, and I really want to make the move, but practicality may be on the side of South Korea. Thank you.
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicality would definitely be to stay in Korea. Yes, you need to pay flights. Free apartments can be found but you'll be in a very small town. Most apartments require a deposit. (Usually two - three months rent in advance).
Prep time isn't usually paid for. Most jobs pay by the hour although there are salaried positions out there.

I know of one teacher who moved from South Korea to Taipei and was only getting ten teaching hours a week and barely making enough to live week to week. Personally with your sort of debt I'd recommend living in a small town here however you'll want to get out once in a while and that can eat into your savings. The exchange rate for the NT is no longer as favourable as it once was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: