Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Indonesia Safe For Solo Female Travellers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleHaze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Is Indonesia Safe For Solo Female Travellers? Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm looking for some advice. I've been offered a Skype interview with a couple of schools in indonesia. EF English First Swara Group in Jakarta, KELT in Surabaya & Wall Street English in Jakarta.

I've been to purpose teaching alone & it was very safe, however, this being further afield, I'm wondering what the culture is like. Is it safe for solo females? Has anyone taught at these schools before & are there other native speakers around to buddy up with?

I've read some stuff online & its mostly horror stories about being exploited by school owners & issues with the visa, needing the school's permission to leave the country, some people have come across problems with school owners who have blocked them from leaving.

Also, where's the best place to teach?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are feeling apprehensive about Indonesia then I would either not go or stick to Jakarta which will be more international than living in the jungle.
Tudor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lifestyle / culture advice, I would look elsewhere such as an expat messageboard - very few people post on here nowadays. Although Indonesia is perhaps not as female-friendly as some other places in the region, women do come here to work and some end up staying and/or marrying locals so it can't be that bad. Plus, despite the annoyances and obvious poverty, I find Indonesia (and Jakarta) to be very safe.

As for jobs...avoid EF unless you're absolutely desperate. Wall Street isn't particularly amazing either, but it depends on what your qualifications and experience are - it'd be ok for a first job. KELT has a good reputation and Surabaya probably isn't as overwhelming as Jakarta, even though it is said to be quite dull (never been so can't comment personally).

The main problem in Indonesia is getting a work permit - many language schools simply can't get them anymore, so teachers end up working on business visas (not legal) and doing visa runs to Singapore every 3-4 months. I've no idea if any of the above schools can get them, but I do know that EF and Wall St have certainly had problems getting them in the past few years.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived in Indonesia for quite a while, I'd say it's fairly safe for women. Certainly more so than where I am originally from. No more dangerous than anywhere else at least. Know plenty of women who have lived there for years.

Do a search for Swara here and then decide if they could have changed their ways. My best guess is they haven't.

The other two schools are like chalk and cheese. If you like teaching adults then Wall Street is the job, but if you prefer kids KELT is the way forward. Can't comment on Wall Street, but I have met plenty of KELT teachers and they seemed to be a happy bunch. Housing was nice and all had a Kitas.

Have a friend who just left KELT recently and he was there a few years. Perhaps you're applying for his job 😊 He is merely moving on to take advantage of a better job opportunity.

KELT prefer a younger crowd, so if you are in your twenties or early thirties you should have a good time. Having shared housing provided at KELT would also mean you already have other women to hangout with. Surabaya is a bit industrial, but you don't have to go too far out of it at the weekend to end up somewhere nice. Unfortunately, to do this and to live in Surabaya on a day to day basis a motorbike is pretty much essential and this could be the biggest danger you'll face.

Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: