Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to get a job in Paris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muzorewi1984

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Best way to get a job in Paris Reply with quote

I got my CELTA a couple of weeks ago, so I'm newly qualified. I'm unfamiliar with the whole procedure of getting a teaching job. I really want to work in Paris, (I'm British by the way) so I've booked a stay there for a couple of weeks (Aug 24-Sep 5). I thought in that time I could look around for a job.

i) What's the best way to approach language firms? Should I literally turn up on their doorstep clutching my CV asking to see the person in charge of recruitment? Or should I phone them in advance, tell them I'm in the area? Or email them?

ii) Is two weeks long enough to wander around trying to find a job? How long does the procedure for getting a job take? I'm renting an apartment by the week, so I can extend my stay if I have to, but if it takes them a week to give you an interview, then another couple of weeks to get back to you to say if you've got a job or not, that's a bit of a pain. I can't hang around for too long without a job.

Any help appreciated!
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check tefl.com out and see who is hiring. You could try just turning up at Wall St, they have at least two places in Paris. I wouldn't normally recommend them but for a first job maybe it's a foot in the door. Good luck!
muzorewi1984

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I did check Tefl.com but there is almost literally nothing on there for France. Scanning through this board, I got the impression you had to go out to France to proactively get a job, hence my going down later this month.

I did email Wall Street on spec last week, but they didn't get back to me. I might drop in on them in Paris anyway. I looked at their website and they (at least claim to) have about eight branches in Paris alone (?!) so not sure if I should visit all of them. Does anyone know if they have a head office? Or at least one branch in particular that handles their administration?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Wall St having a HQ, in fact I thought it was a franchise operation so maybe multiple owners? There's definitely one just off Boulevard Haussmann near to St Lazare station and there's also one in La Defense.

You could also try BTL Formation on Boulevard Haussmann, they're a good outfit. They are exclusively business English and adults only.
riverboat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out fusac.fr , in the employment section there are loads of ads for language schools wanting teachers.

Most schools will hire you quickly if they like you.
muzorewi1984

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at fusac and seen the jobs. I was wondering, in terms of applying, if it was better to just turn up on their doorstep, say "I'm in the area, and I'm interested in the job," etc, or whether I should phone them in advance and ask if I can go round.
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to les pages jaunes and type in language schools and about 300 in Paris will come up. Some of these include Wall Street, Berlitz, Telelangue, Business Language Skills, and so many others.

Language school are not hard to get a job with, but they usually pay low salaries and a lot of travel is involved, often without compensation. It's fine as supplementary work, but to build a career on it would lead to a lot of frustration.

Look up private universities and academies. There are a lot of business schools and art academies in Paris. They often hire and, unlike public universities which pay at the end of the semester, private schools pay monthly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: