Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RMIT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfig77 wrote:
How about the "educators"? They were on $4k or so weren't they?

They were on 3.5k a month after tax in 2013 and took bigger cuts in 2015..I don't know exactly..but 1k month down on old 3.5k. Educators pay linked to qualifications now I heard. Main issue was Educators on 1k a month more than instructors for a long while for same job as instructors and also to my eye only 1/2 to a 3/4 the 100+ teachers were teaching 5 days a week..others on 3, some on projects..very evident walking into office. The high ups..not program managers...above them is who I mean and HR were never seen in the office but in Lygon a fair bit so did not see day to day how over staffed/unproductive it all was. Finish your 4 hrs in class and then not much to do all day and nobody checking how the other 4 hrs were spent if we stayed for the extra 4hrs. Widely abused, as was sick number. Anyone experienced could see $100,000s lost with the structure over years. They've lost tons of experienced teachers who got students into degrees. Teaching referenced essay, critical response writing was not easy and those skills have been diminished now. RMIT had to restructure but lost some really good teachers. Shame. Better solutions were available than taking down long term committed teachers with lives, married locally, with kids in Saigon..some of whom I am sure did not deserve or want moved on like this

My concern is the lower of RMITs contracts and such means race to the bottom recommences..some of the other places in VN were so far behind RMIT but now gap is closed quite a bit
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_1 wrote:
Info I received is English Instructors are being taken down by 1/3rd from what the existing salary was ..and there is a salary differential...some are on existing 2 year contracts on the old pay rate of 2.5k a month with new arrivals down nearer 2k...for same job. RMIT want full timers in 8 hrs a day 5 days a week...it was a good deal on old terms but not sure it is now.

Yeah, that doesn't sound too hot. For an ILA or Apollo-style job, it'd be pretty good, but for one that requires you to be in 8 hours a day on top of your teaching, it's not great. That's less than $25 per teaching hour and less than $12 an hour for the time you're actually at work.
isabel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definitely what I have heard. It is getting harder all over. With such steep cuts at RMIT, I would expect to see more cuts at other places, and certainly there is no longer any pressure anywhere to raise salaries.

And, yes, those who were doing the heavy lifting ("projects" were reserved for favorites and for certain passports) and teaching 5 days a week worked hard. There is class prep and grading and yada yada. Marking was a nightmare. I haven't worked many places where there such wide discrepancies with work loads. If they had put everyone to work, and gotten rid of the deadwood, they wouldn't have taken the coward's way out and lost so many good people. Pay fewer people the same salaries for the full time work and they would probably have been okay.
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any further updates on the situation at RMIT?

From what I can tell, they seem to only offer hourly/casual/sessional teaching positions now - no full-time, salaried positions anymore?

Thanks
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:

From what I can tell, they seem to only offer hourly/casual/sessional teaching positions now - no full-time, salaried positions anymore?

Any information out there?
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this as well. Has RMIT really stopped offering salaried contracts to teachers? Is it just another part-time language mill now?
BenE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there are a lot more hourly jobs and lot less salaried jobs rather than it being a complete mill now. Will let you know if I find out more info (I work/drink with quite a few RMIT ppl here in Hanoi)
CKM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenE wrote:
Will let you know if I find out more info (I work/drink with quite a few RMIT ppl here in Hanoi)

Thanks for that!
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, lots of people have been hired on hourly paid contracts, with the promise that they'll be made full time later on. I don't know how reliable that promise it though. Presumably one-out one-in with the full time contracts.
CKM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With Stupid wrote:
From what I've heard, lots of people have been hired on hourly paid contracts, with the promise that they'll be made full time later on.

For those already based in HCMC or Hanoi, it might be OK, but I can't see many relocating to Vietnam based on that 'promise'.
CKM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:
Does anyone have any further updates on the situation at RMIT?

Thanks

I'm bumping this question one last time. Thanks to I'm With Stupid for the recent update, but is there anyone who works at RMIT who can confirm the current hiring situation?
CKM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKM wrote:
I'm bumping this question one last time.

OK...I'm asking again!

I see that RMIT are advertising for English Language Educators on their website - Hanoi and HCMC. They're hourly paid positions and everything is laid out pretty clearly in the job description, but it would be useful to hear from those with a bit of inside knowledge. It's not a great package for someone (me) considering relocating to Vietnam, but I have a soft spot for the place so I'd consider it.

There were a lot of useful contributions to this thread at one time...but now nothing! Anyone? PM me if you wish.

Thanks
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had also considered a move back to Vietnam (for the right job), and RMIT seemed like one of the better options.

0-26 hours a week (or whatever they are advertising) over the course of 0-7 days a week doesn't sound too enticing though.
CKM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
0-26 hours a week (or whatever they are advertising) over the course of 0-7 days a week doesn't sound too enticing though.

That would be my main concern - the uncertain hours. It appears that you only find out what hours you have 3 days before term...a bit risky if relocating!
BenE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for the main interviewer up in Hanoi. He likes to ask some tough questions and expects some sharp answers. Don't expect a job to drop in your lap just because you get to the interview stage.

Wink (don't mess with my stand again) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: