Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RMIT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently at RMIT if anyone wants to message me for info. I'm happy here.
meyanga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does RMIT pay an education allowance for children's education? What about housing allowance?
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaramaz wrote:

What is RMIT's current pay scale? Do they offer more for more experience/qualifications or is it a flat rate which increases with seniority? Also do they have full-time salaried positions available for lead teachers or foreign managers?
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
yaramaz wrote:

What is RMIT's current pay scale? Do they offer more for more experience/qualifications or is it a flat rate which increases with seniority? Also do they have full-time salaried positions available for lead teachers or foreign managers?

Last I heard RMIT English teachers get worse packages than similar ranking RMIT subject teachers, and a lot of English teachers are part-time. But the location is Saigon pretty good.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenE wrote:
Watch out for the main interviewer up in Hanoi. He likes to ask some tough questions and expects some sharp answers. Don't expect a job to drop in your lap just because you get to the interview stage.

Wink (don't mess with my stand again) Wink

Seems a bit ridiculous considering what they are offering. Also, Hanoi doesn't appeal other than a place to visit, plus the climate is pretty lousy.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are full time and part time hourly positions. I started out part time and was moved to full time recently. Took me a bit over a year; some have moved more quickly. It's based on a balance of X full time to Y part time staff. The Saigon campus has a lot of teachers so there's enough turnover that things move. Hanoi not so much. Pay is on a scale. I'm at the top of my current scale until I finish my MA (basically degree plus CELTA plus X number of years in EAP). The pay is good, especially for comparable gigs around Asia. Not as good as it used to be, from what I understand, but I also understand that the old scale was financially insane (people with CELTAs getting $70k for 'coordinator' positions).
yaramaz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: by full time, I mean salaried. Part time is hourly. A bunch of part time teachers (13) just got bumped up to full time salaried at the new year. This also brings full paid holiday time, sick days, international health insurance. Everyone gets a work/residence permit anyway, so no change there.
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yaramaz,

If someone were interested in going the route you went - part time into full time eventually, how would you recommend they do that re: visas? Show up on a tourist visa, apply, interview, and then if accepted, apply for the work visa (from Cambodia or China, for instance)?

I know that Vietnam expects a lot of paperwork, but I imagine one could get the ball rolling on that before applying/arriving in Vietnam.

Thanks in advance!

CSM
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good question and I really have no idea. The rules here are opaque and always changing. We came in on tourist visas for my husband's first job, which they converted into a work permit for him and residence permits for me and our son. I wasn't working for the first year we were here (looked after baby, etc), so when I was hired by RMIT, I was on a spousal visa. They converted it, but (in 2015) the government made a new law saying that if you change visas (spouse to work, or even between jobs) you have to leave and re-enter. Had to get out stuff done in Bangkok and it was HARD. I think they're able to get the work permits sorted out from here, but don't know if the teachers they're bringing in had tourist or other visas before. All I know is that they definitely get EVERYONE a work permit before they start, which is pretty good over here.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also- the application-interview-visa process took forever. I applied in February 2015, interviewed in May, got the offer in maybe late June, and was only able to get the visa stuff sorted by the 7th of Sept (I remember that because it was a mad scramble to get everything done before the term started).
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an MA TESOL, is the CELTA necessary?

Also, are there usually contract limits? I'm currently liking it in Japan, but unfortunately a lot of private schools/universities will hire a new teacher after 3 years in order to not give them a permanent position/tenure.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about quals- I think that may be more up to the government's requirements for work permits. There's no time limit, I think- we have teachers who have been here 8+ years.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Regarding work permits, last time I was there, any TESOL certificate would suffice.
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers, Yaramaz!
CKM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about how RMIT shortlist candidates. I'm an MA, Delta etc. qualified teacher with plenty of university teaching experience and didn't even get to the interview stage.

Do they have particularly high standards/a lot of competition for places? Or perhaps other things play a part in this...e.g. not being currently in the country?

If anyone has any insight, I'd be curious to hear it.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: