Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native speaker moving to Hanoi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adela.g

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Non-native speaker moving to Hanoi Reply with quote

Hey teachers!

I'm about to move to Hanoi soon and just wanted to double check what documents are usually needed to get a job as an English teacher. I've found these: TEFL certification (original document), university diploma and criminal background check - all of them should be probably translated into Vietnamese (I guess, or ENG?) and notarized.

Also, I am non-native speaker from Czech Republic (I grew up in bilingual environment and lived in the US for couple years), I've got TEFL certification and have more than 2 year experience with teaching and also experience with disabled kids and kids with learning disabilities. Is it hard for a non-native speaker to find a job there?

I'm planning to get a 3-month visa and look for a job there. Didn't really want to get a job in advance since I haven't been to Asia yet Smile

Thank you kindly! Smile

Last edited by adela.g on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
TRH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an IELTS score in band 9?
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the same pay as a native as long as your image is what the parents want to see. All the main schools will hire you , $$$$ for them.
TRH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream_Seller wrote:
You can get the same pay as a native as long as your image is what the parents want to see. All the main schools will hire you , $$$$ for them.
Did you intend this as encouragement for Ms. Adela or indictment of the schools? Perhaps it was both.
nnest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, no documents are needed to get a job, especially in Hanoi. You need to show up, and if they're happy with you, you've got the job. (A less desperate school might want to interview you first or do a demo lesson—or both, in fact, which is annoying.)

Now, if you want to be employed legally, then yes, a teaching cert, your university degree, and a clean police check. A medical check too, but it can be done in Vietnam.

DN (business) visas can be extended and converted to LD (work) visas. DL (tourist) visas can be neither extended nor converted.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: NNES teachers in VN Reply with quote

To the OP: If you're white it's alright but if you black, jump back!

Vietnam is OK for a NNES if they are "white". Usually Europeans will have the best chances outside the NES teachers. Of course you should have all your ducks lined up in a row: degree, TEFL/CELTA/TESOL, criminal background check from home country etc. And also be prepared to work a tad bit harder than a NES teacher does. If someone is an Asian-"native-speaker" they will often have worse chances than a white NNES.

If you go to some of the no-name storefront centers you will find hourly employment at decent rates. Just be aware your level of support in these mills will often be nil. But if you like the freedom of working out everything on your own and what-not by all means give it a shot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: