Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

October short term positions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weshh1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: October short term positions? Reply with quote

Hey,

I've heard from a few members that there is a bump in available jobs in October due to mid semester break. I'm wondering, will a lot of jobs that are available be short term (6 months or less) at this time? Would this be the best time to find short term work?

I think I would like to start with a short term position and see how I like it before I commit to a one year contract.

Thanks!
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: October short term positions? Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:
Hey,

I've heard from a few members that there is a bump in available jobs in October due to mid semester break. I'm wondering, will a lot of jobs that are available be short term (6 months or less) at this time? Would this be the best time to find short term work?

I think I would like to start with a short term position and see how I like it before I commit to a one year contract.

Thanks!

It's possible to find short-term work, but not likely. The next semester runs Nov. - Mar. Don't expect many decent schools to want to hire you for only one semester though.[/i]
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my experience and that of most of my EFL colleagues currently teaching English in the LOS most gigs here teaching ESL are short-term work. Unfortunately most Thais see us EFL farangs as temporary workers in their government/private schools and language institutes...this is due to he fact that they hire and fire us at whim even if you have a work permit...and that there are always backpackers they can choose from who want to work short-term to extend their stay in Thailand. Shocked
weshh1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you'd think schools would want to keep serious teachers around and not fire without reason.
Ive seen a few schools on ajarn with a nov-march contract with possibility of extension and that is kind of what I' m looking for.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Thais do not want serious teachers...they want teachers who provide excellent edutainment. If you are a comedian you would do well teaching English here. If your looking for job security forget it...consider yourself lucky if you get through a semester here at a Thai government school without getting fired. The same goes for English language institutes and academies. Shocked
weshh1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I will try to be as entertaining as possible while I teach. Is this for both older and younger students? I have some experience working with both and while I find working with little kids more "satisfying"... teaching middle/high school, in the US at least, is somewhat less exhausting.

But I guess my hope for short term work may not be that off after all Laughing

I'm planning on just buying my plane ticket for early September, backpacking around and getting a feel for the different parts of Thailand, and then start applying to schools that appeal to me (and are available).
I'm pretty excited!!!

Can I ask a noobie question here without being flamed, so what documents do I NEED to bring with me to get work permit ? ( I assume the jig on travel visa running is pretty much up and I'd rather get a legit work visa anyways).

I know I need:

*Original diploma (I'm a bit nervous about bringing this in case I lose it.)

But is that basically it? Some dress clothes, a suit, my CV, a couple letters of recommendation, and maybe some sample LPs.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:
Very interesting. I will try to be as entertaining as possible while I teach. Is this for both older and younger students? I have some experience working with both and while I find working with little kids more "satisfying"... teaching middle/high school, in the US at least, is somewhat less exhausting.

But I guess my hope for short term work may not be that off after all Laughing

I'm planning on just buying my plane ticket for early September, backpacking around and getting a feel for the different parts of Thailand, and then start applying to schools that appeal to me (and are available).
I'm pretty excited!!!

Can I ask a noobie question here without being flamed, so what documents do I NEED to bring with me to get work permit ? ( I assume the jig on travel visa running is pretty much up and I'd rather get a legit work visa anyways).

I know I need:

*Original diploma (I'm a bit nervous about bringing this in case I lose it.)

But is that basically it? Some dress clothes, a suit, my CV, a couple letters of recommendation, and maybe some sample LPs.

IF you want to save the trip to Laos or Malaysia to get your visa (do a change of status in BKK) then you will need your original degree and a set of university issued transcripts. They do NOT need to be legalized, notarized or apositlled.

If you can bring a police check it may save you some problems. Some times you need it, some times you don't.

weshh1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, transcripts. And criminal background check will be good to have on hand. Thanks!

So, I am currently taking a tefl course online (160hr via TEFL Express). No idea when I'll finish it, I'm not exactly rushing through it at the moment. Do I need this for work permit or jobs? I have it listed as in progress on my CV.
adaruby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:

So, I am currently taking a tefl course online (160hr via TEFL Express). No idea when I'll finish it, I'm not exactly rushing through it at the moment. Do I need this for work permit or jobs? I have it listed as in progress on my CV.

You might come to review your word choice at a later date.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:
Do I need this for work permit or jobs?

In Thailand you don't need it for the visa or work permit (the degree is the requirement).

You MIGHT need one for some employers but it is unlikely.

Photoshop and Google images work as well as TEFL Express (it's not as though it was a CELTA, Trinity or SIT cert TESOL).

adaruby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:

Photoshop and Google images work as well as TEFL Express (it's not as though it was a CELTA, Trinity or SIT cert TESOL).

You might as well send a biscuit through the post, OP.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Make sure you also bring letters of work reference from previous employers and make sure they are original (not copies). Also bring a medical certificate...nowadays you may also be required to do a mental health check as part of the medical process in Thailand. Rules on Thai visa and foreign labor requirements are changing almost daily these days..and don't forget to have all your degrees attested by your embassy and your official transcripts given in a sealed envelope from your university. The most important thing to bring with you is money...and you'll need plenty of it...say a minimum of $3,000 - $4,000 in cash (excluding R/T airfare from your point of origin)...especially if you are living and/or teaching in Bangkok. Enjoy the Land of Smiles! Smile
adaruby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
The most important thing to bring with you is money...and you'll need plenty of it...say a minimum of $3,000 - $4,000 in cash (excluding R/T airfare from your point of origin)...especially if you are living and/or teaching in Bangkok. Enjoy the Land of Smiles! Smile

You pay your own flights?!?!?!??!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

YES you pay your own flights....and everything else it takes for you to settle in Thailand. By the way you may be offered a free lunch in Thai schools....the only real benefit or job perk offered. But remember the food is generally the same everyday...and mostly VERY, VERY hot and spicy. Enjoy the Land of Smiles. Smile
weshh1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like spicy. I'm sure my heat tolerance will be in for a shock but I'm open to it Smile

Adaruby: What is wrong with listing "In Progress" under estimated date of completion for a CV. Are you just referring to listing a cheap online tefl cert. on my CV?

Adaruby: I really don't understand the biscuits through the post reference. I even tried googling it Laughing

These documents all seem easy to have in order. I'm not too sure about the medical check thing. What do I request when I go to the clinic in order to have the proper documentation?

I'm also applying to EPIK but I won't hear back till late Sept./early Oct. I'm sure living and working in Korea and Thailand would both be very unique life experiences. I'm pretty financially comfortable so I can make a choice that will be based on type of work and lifestyle preference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: