Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QUESTIONS ABOUT TEACHING IN ETHIOPIA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinkextra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: QUESTIONS ABOUT TEACHING IN ETHIOPIA Reply with quote

For some time now I have been interested in teaching english abroad, particularly in Africa.
When I found out about GYA, it peeked my interest.

I have been to Africa before (Zambia and Kenya) so I have been fairly exposed to third world conditions. However upon reading a previous post about GYA it mentions the accommodations were rat and roach infested ( I experienced the latter but certainly not in house living rats while in Africa). Can anyone describe the housing situation (i.e. availability of hot water, electricity,cleanliness, room mates, etc). What sort of salary are GYA teachers expected to earn? How supportive are the administration and staff members? Lastly, who is responsible for round trip airfare and Visa costs?

I look foward to hearing from anyone who may have experienced GYA or have other valuable insight!
hardingl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: GYA Reply with quote

Ethiopia and education are 2 of my favourite topics. I have been involved in both for a large portion of my adult life.

I have just returned from Ethiopia and met with the Head of GYA re volunteer teaching. I think the school offers a good opportunity for teaching and runs in a relatively western (American) manner ie strong administration, teacher support, and advanced curriculums. However, the 3 schools are ultimately run by 1 person who is very involved at every level, works very hard herself and has high expectations of staff.

I visited the houses and found them to be very good and clean. I would happily live there and infact feel it offer more than many hotels!

The volunteer teachers need to pay their airfares and innitial visa plus medical insurance if you want it. The school covers accommodation which is shared with up to 5 other volunteer teachers (own room, share bathroom with hot water, electricity, fully fitted kitchen, furnature and facilities, including maid, satellite tv and computer with internet), long term visa, and a small allowance that is sufficent to live on.

If you seriously consider teaching at GYA cannot stress more the following facts -
1. it is not a school for poor children, rather the working class and middle class children with a few wealthy and a few poor children (sponsored). However, by providing the children with high level education, particularly English increases the number or 'ordinary' people who can attent university and take an active role in rebuilding Ethiopia.

2. you must be commited to teaching children first and foremost which means 10 month commitment to GYA and providing a positive and appropriate role model for the children. The Head of the school is Muslem and while the school opperates non-religiously cthere are a large number of muslem students and certain princliples remain.

3. GYA are schools in a 3rd world country and as such there are some teaching practices that are not the same, with more regimentation, less time allocated to creativity, immagination and play activities. However, there is also less agressive punishment with the main punishment used being 'on play at lunch time' rather standing facing the wall with hands raised. Even this is not enforced militantly.

I hope this has not been too daunting as I think that anyone with a commitment to teaching children and a desire to see another culture and country would enjoy their term at GYA. You do not need to be a hardened adventurer as Addis is city with many modern converiences, churches, hotels, restaurants, theatres, supermarkets, night clubs etc.

I do hope this helps

Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: