Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American with a parent EU citizen..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: American with a parent EU citizen.. Reply with quote

If my father has an EU passport (but from Ireland, not Spain) could I get a job in Spain. I am bilingual and I learned Spanish teaching in Latin America.. where I also learned not to expect even a livable wage or any help with airfare or even visa fees Smile. I'd go to get into Europe..even if the job wasn't great. I have a lot of teaching experience, too. Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot get a job based on your father's passport.
You need to apply for your own Irish citizenship based on your father's. Then with your own Irish citizenship you can work in Spain.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or anywhere else in the EU...
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Thanks..good information Reply with quote

My dad is actually a naturalized citizen..he has Irish roots but is 100% American. He just got the passport because he could easily enough and he works in Europe often. I knew it was a long shot..thanks for confirming.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did your father get his passport? I believe for Ireland in order for you to get it he had to become a citizen before your birth.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if your grandparents were Irish you can also become an Irish citizen. My mother is Irish and I have done a little research on this. You MIGHT be able to become a citizen based on his citizenship even if he is naturalized. But you'll need to talk to someone and give them more details than we can here.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, if you qualify for an EU passport through your father, that would give you the broadest range of options in Spain. In the absence of said passport, you might want to consider the following programs geared towards foreigners:

1) Cultural Ambassadors: North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain

http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convocatorias-programas/convocatorias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html

2) U.S.State Department English Language Fellow Program

http://exchanges.state.gov/us/program/english-language-fellow-program

3) Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Programs

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/types-of-grants/english-teaching-assistant-grants

These programs are pretty competitive but, given your extensive experience, you may have a good chance at qualifying. Unfortunately, without an EU passport, your options in Spain are limited.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Now I'm not an expert on this matter, but I really do think you stand a MUCH better chance than those Americans whose European roots are traced from periods between the Mayflower's voyage and Ellis Island. You really want that Irish passport, don't you? So, I suppose the Irish Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. is the best place to start. I assume you are going to have to state your case as to why you need an Irish passport. You could begin by saying you feel as much Irish as north American, you want to rediscover your Irish roots, and you are thinking of studying in Ireland(doing a master's in Ireland is bound to be cheaper than in the U.S.). You have to state your case.
Thereafter, it will be a question of gathering evidence. I assume the original copy of your father's birth certificate will be essential. At any rate it will be a GREAT help.. If he does not have it at home then he should be able to request another copy from somewhere, perhaps the Irish Embassy or some town hall in the Irish Republic? You may or may not then have to get other documents, such as an apostille form, to "prove" your birth certificate's authenticity (I had to get an apostille form before I taught in Korea).
I know someone said they thought that you could only apply if your father had not yet been naturalized when you were born, but you DO need to check the veracity of this. I have been discouraged in the past from doing stuff by people who gave me negative but FALSE information. Getting your Irish passport may take some time, and it will cost some money.
I am from the U.K. I also speak Spanish-right now I am reading a book called "El paciente de el Pardo" about Franco's final, agonising illness. I have lived in Spain and taught English there. I will send you another message about my experiences in Spain later which will be instructive.
Finally remember this. Nine years ago, when I taught in Madrid, Americans could teach there surreptitiously on JUST a tourist visa, but they had to be careful and leave Spain every 3 months. Now after 3 months, you would be barred from entry for another 3 months. If you are Irish they won't even stamp your passport!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about the passport process etc., but a good start when dealing with officialdom will be using the correct name: the Republic of Ireland. The term 'Irish Republic' is certain to annoy any officials whom you'll be dealing with, strange as this seems to the rest of us.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about grandparents? The following suggests that you might be able to apply based on having at least one grandparent born there:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000024
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
How about grandparents? The following suggests that you might be able to apply based on having at least one grandparent born there:

My understanding is that Ireland and Italy are the two easiest EU countries to qualify for citizenship on the basis of ancestry. If you have a grandparent who was a citizen of either country at the time of your birth, then you would qualify for citizenship in that country. However, qualifying is one thing; actually obtaining citizenship is quite another. The catch is getting together all of the appropriate paperwork (birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc), getting them apostillized by the appropriate authorities, and then navigating the complexities of the application process. It can be done, but it may not be easy.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:

My understanding is that Ireland and Italy are the two easiest EU countries to qualify for citizenship on the basis of ancestry. If you have a grandparent who was a citizen of either country at the time of your birth, then you would qualify for citizenship in that country. However, qualifying is one thing; actually obtaining citizenship is quite another. The catch is getting together all of the appropriate paperwork (birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc), getting them apostillized by the appropriate authorities, and then navigating the complexities of the application process. It can be done, but it may not be easy.

Paperwork can be a PITA. I have students who did the Italy route. It took 3-4 years for them.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Paperwork can be a PITA. I have students who did the Italy route. It took 3-4 years for them.

Yes, some of my cousins and I looked into getting Italian citizenship a few years ago as we qualify through my grandfather. After looking at what's involved as far as paperwork, we concluded it wasn't worth the hassle. Obviously, if one of us was really committed to living and working in an EU country, it might be worth it. But at this point, we're not pursuing it.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. If you want to get citizenship, it is hardly too much to ask to have your papers in order. But, true, if somebody is just looking for an easy way to beat the EU system, then citizenship, no more than marriage, is not it.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
I dunno. If you want to get citizenship, it is hardly too much to ask to have your papers in order. But, true, if somebody is just looking for an easy way to beat the EU system, then citizenship, no more than marriage, is not it.

Well said, Comrade!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: