Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

current job situation in PL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

And by the way, this is what Delph wrote before he was trying to recruit peeps.

http://www.polishforums.com/archives/2009/work-43/teaching-english-poland-degree-just-certificate-29744/2/

I've quoted it below.

'Be warned, the salaries aren't likely to be good enough to sustain you over the summer based on four months work - which makes it difficult as you'd have to find your feet pretty quickly in order to be able to find enough work over the summer months.

What you might have success in doing is applying to some of the small provincial schools - you might very well find a school willing to take you on with some hours over the summer months too. They (if it's in a small town) may also be quite happy to sort out some very cheap accomodation too.

Ignore the requirement for a degree - it's not required. As long as you can speak, read and write English well, there's really no need for one. I'm still studying towards mine, and it hasn't presented any barrier at all. Some schools might demand it - but in my opinion, if they do, they aren't worth bothering with.

And yes, the adverts present a false impression - Poland is full of language schools, Poznan is no different. The problem is that a lot of these schools won't take the risk on an unknown quantity when they can see someone 'in the flesh' here - Poznan is a short trip from many UK cities, and so there just isn't the need to risk it on non-EU citizens.

Incidentally, do you speak Polish? If you do, or if you have a Polish passport, it'll make life considerably easier when trying to find a job'
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much has changed. Turning up halfway through the year will always be a struggle, small town schools are still screaming for anyone (degree or no degree), and non-EU passport holders will still find it tough. The only big change as far as teachers are concerned is the move away from umowa o dzielo contracts to requiring teachers to be freelance, as well as more native speakers meaning that schools can afford to be fussier.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: really Reply with quote

Schools will hire the cheapest, first face through the door. In Poland, it's all about cheap, whether it's schools or restaurants. You know it and I know it. You've rattled on for years. Just tell it how it is.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know it. I've been in Gdansk for 7 1/2 years, working at the same school you all love to hate. I net about 7000 zl through my school, private lessons-they're all referrals, and they come to my flat. I don't advertise-and skype lessons with companies who contacted me. I repeat, they come to me.

That doesn't include my US Social Security pension.

I had/have a standing offer in the ME for more than yours. I turned it down. I have two daughters, and my beef is the way those countries treat women. For me, it's not about money, and I don't want to leave Gdansk and my Polish friends.

But I'm much older than all of you and my circumstances are different, so take this post as only my experience. I doubt that it's worth much to newbies.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netting 70,000zl/(I assume per year) is doing incredibly well in Gdansk. That works out to 5,833zl/month. Assuming (optimistically) you get the 'gold standard' rate of 60zl/60min., that equates to teaching about 24 hours a week every week of the year. Since teaching that much is impossible in Poland (summer holidays, ferie, etc.), I'm guessing you taught well over 24 hours a week for most of the year. And on top of that Skype lessons and privates.

That's a pretty heavy workload. I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't want to teach quite that much.

But your post, Scott, certainly discredits the claim that teaching in Poland is akin to taking a vow of poverty. 5833zl/mo. should be more than enough for a single person in Gdansk with reasonable spending habits. I earned about half that per-month figure my first year teaching in Gdansk and managed alright.
Janek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Louisdf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janek wrote:
Master Shake wrote:
Netting 70,000zl/(I assume per year) is doing incredibly well in Gdansk.

Each year I struggle not to make more than 150000 PLN a year. I don't want to pay VAT. And for sure I am not the only one in Poland making that much.

Of course it's almost impossible to earn that much in your first years. But if you work hard and diligent, then it's possible. Word of mouth is much more important than useless posts on gumtree.

Don't work for language schools, work for yourself. 20 hours in-company-courses on your own are more or less 10000 PLN a month. Once in a while a voiceover session for a couple of hours - 1000 PLN more in your pockets. Then minor editor's stuff or whatever some 3000 PLN/month.

Yes but most natives don't speak Polish fluently, so unless you have personal connections it's very difficult to talk to the right people in companies.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Meanwhile, I'm off to the UAE next week for more than twice what Janek earns. Free swimming pools, gyms and the missus by my side. Can't wait.
Poland is an absolute slog and I'm too old for this. If the wife works too, a few years and I can kick back.
Janek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

350k AED plus bens is! Do the math.
Montanaland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
350k AED plus bens is! Do the math.

Hey Dragon,

Did you get certified in your home country? I've been leaning towards the "alternative" certification programs offered in Texas and Florida since my undergrad is in business.

I hear Poland rocks for the single male..I just don't want to touch the 70k I froze in n.d. to save.

Last edited by Montanaland on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Montanaland Reply with quote

Go for a year.spend your dosh...don't work...it's for lunatics!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm off to the UAE next week for more than twice what Janek earns. Free swimming pools, gyms and the missus by my side. Can't wait.
Has your wife actually lived in the UAE before? If not, she's in for a rude awakening.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

Nope but we know quite a few couples from here who have done it. Mission 1 will be to find a good flat and 2 to buy a car. She can also go home whenever she wants as she won't work initially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: