Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

current job situation in PL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brisket

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still undecided about whether to try this, but have to make a decision very soon, as in within a week or two. I'm still very keen on Warsaw if it's possible. I'll read the pages about work visas again, I guess -- if it's near-impossible to get sponsored, I need to know how difficult the alternative is. Thanks to all who have chipped in with advice & observations.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Poznan Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
So, having had plenty of meetings, I can tell you the state of play in Poznan. Not 1 company I have spoken to offers umowa o dzielo. All of them want you to set up your own company. The tax you pay varies but the ZUS is about 300/month.

The hourly rates offered average 55Zl/hour Gross. A couple have offered in the 80Zl area but limited hours.

. http://ksiegowosc.infor.pl/podatki/pit/pit/dzialalnosc-gospodarcza/314970,Zakladamy-firme-podatki-i-skladki-ZUS.html As you can see ZUS is over 400zl. It goes up every year.
Also remember you need to pay for an accountant, which is usually around 150-200zl a month including VAT.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Kieruwniks have all been saying they are awash with applicants. The fact that one asked me if I could teach grammar spoke volumes. Lots of young, inexperienced teachers and the schools view them as marketing tools and conversation 'teachers'.

My pals, who have all been here years, paint a glum picture of Poznan re work.
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you'll even be able to set up a company? I'm pretty sure that only Schengen countries, UK, and US citizens are able to set up the sole entrepreneurship business.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: it's easy Reply with quote

It's easy as I'm British and all my pals seem to be doing it without any probs.
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but the original poster (brisket) is from NZ right? I'm not sure if that would make things more difficult for him in regards to opening a business here.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you might be right. There were a few Ozzies here a while back but I haven't seen them for ages.

Had a call back today from a firm who wanted to hook me up with a specific client. The client had called and wanted a Polish teacher.

Very odd. Must be some real cowboys out there.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oipivo wrote:
Sure, but the original poster (brisket) is from NZ right? I'm not sure if that would make things more difficult for him in regards to opening a business here.
Good point! This is a definitely a delph question.

Brisket, you'd better make up your mind soon. Hiring season doesn't last that much longer.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: yup Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Yeah, I think you might be right. There were a few Ozzies here a while back but I haven't seen them for ages.

Had a call back today from a firm who wanted to hook me up with a specific client. The client had called and wanted a Polish teacher.

Yes but Polish teachers are generally better at teaching Grammar and cheaper. But if the client wanted to speak and get used to a British/American accent a native would be a better option.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I tend to think that bilingual teachers are handy with a1/a2 levels but that's it.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
oipivo wrote:
Good point! This is a definitely a delph question.

Brisket, you'd better make up your mind soon. Hiring season doesn't last that much longer.

Yes, it's much more difficult. He can't open as a one-man company, but rather he needs to establish a rather complicated business structure that will give him a residence permit. For anyone non-EU (except Americans), they aren't allowed to establish one-person companies.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: yup Reply with quote

Louisdf wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

Yes but Polish teachers are generally better at teaching Grammar and cheaper. But if the client wanted to speak and get used to a British/American accent a native would be a better option.

Polish teachers are better at teaching grammar? Nonsense. Cheaper maybe, better no.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: yup Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:
Polish teachers are better at teaching grammar? Nonsense. Cheaper maybe, better no.
I think if you compare an experienced Polish teacher to a native speaker fresh out of CELTA (or with no teaching cert.), the Polish teacher is going to be better at explaining grammar.

However, a native speaker who's experienced at teaching grammar is the best of both worlds.

I'll wager a good deal of Polish teachers rely too heavily on Polish, long explanations, and translations to explain grammar.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Yup, I'd agree with that. However, we all know it's a handy tool at lower levels. I've noticed a few places now either have team teaching or Poles who focus on lower levels. I'm not convinced by immersion at lower levels myself but that's just me.

Anyways, re the OP, the job market here in Poznan is pretty saturated and it's a case of spending a year or two getting in-company classes as the school scene is dreadful and the net rates are lower than they were a decade ago.

I'll see how it goes but my feeling is that I'll be on rotation this time next year as I don't want to work myself into the ground.
Infinite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Poznan Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
So, having had plenty of meetings, I can tell you the state of play in Poznan. Not 1 company I have spoken to offers umowa o dzielo. All of them want you to set up your own company. The tax you pay varies but the ZUS is about 300/month.

The hourly rates offered average 55Zl/hour Gross. A couple have offered in the 80Zl area but limited hours.

ZUS is nearly 400
Social - 160,70
Health - 270,40

The reason for not using umowa o dzieło is the recent court cases and targeting of Language Schools. The Gov't is trying to get rid of umowa o dzieło all together. Umowa zlecenie is still something that's being used, but I'm pretty sure that'll get phased out as well. Umowa o prace is stupid expensive hence the dzialalnosc gospodarcza pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: