Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Can Read - avoid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aypez

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: I Can Read - avoid? Reply with quote

I have an interview with ICR Singapore soon. However, after doing a bit of research on this forum and elsewhere, they don't appear to be a particularly good company to work for - is there any truth to this?

Are there any other centres that I should look into (other than Lorna Whiston, Morris Allen and LCentral)?

Thanks
Bassington

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who worked there briefly (no one's fault, she had to leave for family reasons) - apparently it wasn't great, but it wasn't the pits either. Just average.
Janiny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I Can Read" is notorious for firing people just before their three-month probation period is finished. Because if you pass that, they have to start paying you more money (as per the written agreement). And apparently they find it cheaper to just keep hiring fresh personnel.

This happened to me, and when I got a job elsewhere in Singapore, I met another such person. I was going to tell her my story when she put her hand up to stop me so that she could tell it herself. it happened to her, and a few others she knows, and many people that they know.

If you want to find yourself at loose ends and jobless in Singapore two and a half month's after your arrival, then please, go ahead and sign a one-year (hah hah) contract with 'I Can Read'.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I can read....YOUR FIRED! That is why they are always advertising for new warm bodies in the classroom aka EFL teachers on Daves...don't work for this place it is a nightmare on Singapore street! I did a big mistake years ago applying to them for work too. Shocked
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish I could even get an interview with them! They never reply or acknowledge my applications.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see...you wish they would reply to your emails so they could interview you, make you a probational job offer...just to sack you before the 90 days trial period....Yep I got that!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the negativity I've read online about ICR, there seem to be a few exceptions and I'm well aware that those with good experiences tend not to vent online. Hence why I would have liked the opportunity to see for myself Smile

But alas, the very fact that despite my experience and background, my applications are never even acknowledged, I have become more wary and can't help but give the negativity I see about more credence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: