Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lopburi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladyajarn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Lopburi Reply with quote

Tell me something good!
I'm going to Lopburi in a month and a half to teach English at a Demonstration School with the Rajabhat Institute. Yes, I will be teaching teenagers. I know it's not as easy as adults but it can't be as bad as a high school in North America. Am I going to have discipline problems? Does anyone have any good tips for dealing with that?
I'd also like to know if anybody has ever stayed in Lopburi. Do you have any idea what kind of students I'll be teaching?
My third question is this: What are the interests of youth in Thailand? I'm going to be teaching predominantly speaking classes so can anyone tell me what these kids are going to want to talk about? I have a couple of ideas but if you know of any specific trends or obsessions that would be excellent!
hagakuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: As good as chocolate? Reply with quote

Generally speaking, Thai students are better behaved than American students. You will have far less diciplinary problems than what you had in the States. Students are respectfully of teachers in Thailand. Teachers fall just under monks in matters of respect. It is the most noble and respected profession that a Thai person can have. Children are well aware of this and will never openly disrespect you in class.

You do not state the age group, but teenagers to me would mean 13 to 17 year olds. Being so, your problems will be maintaining class focus and to curb talking. Thai students love to chat and carry-on. It is a very social culture. Thai girls are into the pop bands D2B and F4. Boys are into computer games, pokemon, and soccer. Read up on the bands, learn the members names and you can talk with the girls, and some of the boys, for hours and hours. On the boy side, learn about football (oops... soccer) and specific teams like Liverpool. Knowing about players like David Beckham and M. Owen would not hurt.

Sorry, I do not know anything about Lopburi.

Good luck, and really you have nothing to fear! Razz
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, your biggest problem will be excessive amounts of students who talk excessively. I suggest that you keep your lessons/lectures interesting and entertaining, involve the students in anything that you present as much as possible: reading aloud & writing on the board, roleplaying in front of the class etc, learn their nicknames, plan for a lot of task based learning activities and groupwork.

Interests are as hagakuri described them: pop music and the singers, movie and TV stars, football [soccer] especially Manchester United and Liverpool, food, travel, etc.

You can find out more about that at these websites:

http://www.student-weekly.com/

http://www.nationjunior.com

and this website made in Thailand by a Thai student:
http://www.thailandlife.com/
quite interesting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: