Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best location in terms of CELTA course n job for NNS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nielsbrrzl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Best location in terms of CELTA course n job for NNS? Reply with quote

Dear people,

Just like many others I'm also going through a lot of stages of research in terms of where to take a CELTA course and where to work (doesn't have to be per se in the same country as the course). Keeping this in mind there are other questions rising after good research on fora, websites and facebook groups:

- What's a good place to take a CELTA course within Europe? Doesn't particular mean that I would look for a job within the same country of where the course was.
- In which places are the chances for non-native english speakers reasonable, to find a job?
- how about the contracts at the schools (cause I've heard, depending on what school, they treat you like sh*t sometimes)
- in terms of living: I want to live in a good place, where lots of young people are, expats, many things to do,... and preferrably a warm climate.

Maybe a little information about myself:

I'm 26 years old, and will have worked 2,5 years (when I finish my job at the end of 2014) for Flemish Government at a closed governmental institution working with young delinquents. Obviously I have thorough experience working with youngsters (especially the "heavy" cases) and have been doing both social work tasks as educational tasks. My level of English is very good, and I'm a passionate traveler. Been in Australia for 7 months on a WHV and traveled many countries next to that.

Is anyone here able to help me out with good information based on own experiences?

Thanks a lot!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have at least a bachelor's degree?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll assume a degree, since most young Europeans do have one. If you don't, as nomad is hinting, your options are very limited.

Your written English above includes a fair number of errors that would be problematic were you teaching at higher levels. That said, there are numerous schools that will hire non-native speakers to teach beginner to lower intermediate levels. Having learned English yourself to a functional (if not formal) level is a strength, and you may be able to find an employer who appreciates that.

Your first language may well be seen as helpful, particularly when working with lower-level learners, so it's quite likely that another French-speaking country (such as your native Belgium or France or Luxembourg - no chance to get a work visa in Canada, probably) would be your best bet. And probably somewhere less desirable to native speakers, as you'll have a hard time competing.

I worked in Luxembourg a decade ago, and unless things have changed (obviously they may well have done), this might be worth checking out. The capitol is a nice small city-you've likely been there- but the weather makes it less attractive to UK nationals. Too similar to London. There are lots of lower-level students in the finance industry who would benefit from a teacher who's functional in English but can use French when needed.
nielsbrrzl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes nomadsoul, I have a bachelor's degree in social work. There would be no chance that I could do my current job without that degree.

I'm aware that my written English still could improve of course, but that's also what I'm willing to do. I'm convinced my spoken English is better and I can fairly speak without a strong accent. Spiral78, my first language is Dutch and I do speak French and basic German as well, as these are our other official languages. In Belgium we are known to be good at languages.

Spiral78, thanks for your advice and comment.
I do realize that there is huge competition in the whole TEFL industry. The big discussion and frustration in the "non-native English speakers" issue is that as a non-native speaker it's harder to get through at employers. It's something I've been reading about a lot. Even if you would be a better teacher than a native speaker, the employer would probably still hire the Brit, Canadian, Australian or American, right?

I still believe that if you're good enough and willing to undertake a lot to succeed in the course, we should have fair chances. Of course many employers prefer to hire a native speaker above a non-native but I hope I would stand a chance in other countries than Luxemburg. Don't get me wrong, I can't afford to be too picky about a first teaching job, but I'd rather find something a bit more attractive than that. If you know non-native speakers yourself, where did they find a job mostly? You have any more tips or hints?

Thanks again for the quick reply.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielsbrrzl wrote:
I do realize that there is huge competition in the whole TEFL industry. The big discussion and frustration in the "non-native English speakers" issue is that as a non-native speaker it's harder to get through at employers. It's something I've been reading about a lot. Even if you would be a better teacher than a native speaker, the employer would probably still hire the Brit, Canadian, Australian or American, right?

I still believe that if you're good enough and willing to undertake a lot to succeed in the course, we should have fair chances. Of course many employers prefer to hire a native speaker above a non-native but I hope I would stand a chance in other countries than Luxemburg. Don't get me wrong, I can't afford to be too picky about a first teaching job, but I'd rather find something a bit more attractive than that. If you know non-native speakers yourself, where did they find a job mostly? You have any more tips or hints?

I agree that those who put forth the effort are quite likely to succeed. However, in terms of the non-native speakers I've taught alongside in various teaching situations, at the least, a few hold a BA in English, while the majority have an MA or PhD in Applied Linguistics or TESOL. In other words, their degrees are relevant to the field. That doesn't mean your chances are shot; there are still entry-level teaching opportunities out there for you. But beefing up your education is something to consider within the next few years if you expect to seriously make TEFL your career.

As for tips, I suggest you quit comparing yourself to native speakers and focus on you and what you need to do in order to get your foot in the door. Definitely do the CELTA course, but also take the IELTS so that you'll have a score to include on your CV. It gives potential employers an indication of how proficient you are in English.

Spiral and others knowledgeable about Europe can offer valuable info on teaching in the region. However, given the economic issues facing some European countries, you're not in any position to target only those you find attractive. In fact, many of us made compromises for our first teaching job, despite holding solid, relevant academic credentials.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very familiar with the Limburg region, so I have a clue what your language skills may be like. Confidence in speaking (but a lower level of written English and accuracy overall) can translate into things like summer camp gigs and possibly some private language school jobs, with lower level students and/or kids. You won't be the most attractive candidate to teach mid to upper level businesspeople (a big part of the market) or test prep classes (another big market segment).

Where are you hoping to go, and who do you imagine teaching?
If you've got 'the look,' Asia might be easier than Europe. This is a competitive and demanding job market and an nns with unrelated BA and CELTA isn't a super hot property in most market segments in desirable western European cities.

I know numerous nns English teachers in Europe, but they almost all have upper-level qualifications. Most started in Asia.
nielsbrrzl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Where have you been teaching then if I may ask? And how did you get started in the beginning? There's truth in what you say about being confident in speaking but having it harder for perfect written skills.

My goal is actually to teach youngsters, or children. In my experience working with the most difficult young delinquents it would be suitable to see that as my ideal target group. By taking the CELTA course (i know i'm supposed to teach adults with that) I'm trying to get the best possible course and that's why I choose a CELTA over any other course. Or do you think it would be more ideal to take a course specified to teaching youngsters and children? If so, what would you recommend me?

About a location, I would take the CELTA course at IH Barcelona in february 2015. After that, and when I (hopefully succeed), I would just wait and have look where it's possible to teach according to the demand for teachers. I won't be picky at all but prefer Spain, when I'm there anyway. Asia would be a good option.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nielsbrrzl wrote:
There's truth in what you say about being confident in speaking but having it harder for perfect written skills.

Which is a good reason to take the IELTS. Ditto for the Cambridge Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT).
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks. Where have you been teaching then if I may ask? And how did you get started in the beginning? There's truth in what you say about being confident in speaking but having it harder for perfect written skills.

I'm a native speaker of English with a BEd., related MA and enroute to a PhD in the field, so my experience isn't really closely related to yours. But I did live/work in Limburg for nearly 8 years, and have been in Europe since 1998 with a short break at a Canadian university which sent me on international projects.

Overall, the European job market for teachers is highly competitive, and the barriers are lower in Asia - that's why I suggest it might be easier for you to get started there. You might find something in Spain, of course, but it will probably be quite low-end. Not the worst outcome, but if you are thinking in the long-term, some basic experience + upgrading your skills + upgrading your qualifications will be needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: