Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs available?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1993DodgeStealth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Are antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs available? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am thinking of applying to Colombia through Fulbright. I was just wondering if anyone who has been to Colombia knows if antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs (like Lithium) are available in the country. I have been to Mexico and Spain, and the medicines were available there, but I have no idea about Colombia or South America in general.

Thanks for the help!
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't been to the pharmacy to look for them, I can't see why they wouldn't be available. Colombia isn't Sub-Saharan Africa.
G22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they sell the generic equivalent of paxil.
Cruiser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Are antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs availabl Reply with quote

1993DodgeStealth wrote:
Hello all,

I am thinking of applying to Colombia through Fulbright. I was just wondering if anyone who has been to Colombia knows if antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs (like Lithium) are available in the country. I have been to Mexico and Spain, and the medicines were available there, but I have no idea about Colombia or South America in general.

Thanks for the help!

I'm sure you can get them if you know what their names are in Spanish. Also, there are generic brands made in Latin America which you may not recognize, but are essentially the same thing. Wellbutrin is one such local manufacturer of anti depressants. They make a kind of prosac which I used to quit smoking, called Zyban in Canada. Same thing.
1993DodgeStealth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Meds availabile in Pharmacy? Reply with quote

Hi G22,

Are the meds availabile in the pharmacies in Colombia? Do you know, are they very expensive without insurance? Can you get them without insurance, as long aso you have a prescription?
G22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Meds availabile in Pharmacy? Reply with quote

1993DodgeStealth wrote:
Hi G22,

Are the meds availabile in the pharmacies in Colombia? Do you know, are they very expensive without insurance? Can you get them without insurance, as long aso you have a prescription?

I buy paxil and welbutrin, you can buy them at any number of pharmacies, the price is usually lower than what it would be in the US, but I think I still pay like 60-70 US a month. You don't need insurance or a prescription to buy them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: