Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New "Employee Card" required to work in Czech?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: New "Employee Card" required to work in Czech? Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this new "Employee Card"? It looks like it may be required, at least for U.S. Citizens, in order to work in Czech. Here's the link -

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/consular_information/employee_card/index.html

The jargon is pretty confused on the description of it. Anyone know if this will affect the ability to go to Czech and find a job and apply for work permission, or if this may cause any issues with getting work permission?

"If you are residing in the territory of the CR on a long-term visa issued for some other purpose than employment but, after arriving to the territory of the CR, you find a job, for which you will obtain an employment permit and you will want to continue to work in the same employment, file an application for an employee card before expiration of the validity of the long-term visa because it will no longer be possible to issue an employment permit to you based on your residence in the territory of the CR on a long-term residence permit, except in exceptional cases defined by the Employment Act"
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know first-hand (I have permanent papers in the CR) but a long-term visa is not the same thing that most would-be teachers arrive in the CR on.

Visitors from the US come on a normal 90-day visa-free stay in the Schengen zone.

So far as I know, these things called 'long-term' visas are usually issued for students on study programs lasting more than 90 days. We have quite a few of these at the institution where I teach; I believe they are usually issued for 6 month periods.

I can see why, if someone on one of these found employment, the paperwork would have to be completed prior to the expiry of the long-term visa.

So, no, this probably wouldn't impact a US citizen coming to The Czech Republic (the CR) to teach.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...thanks for the correction. I'm sure it'll help, I mostly find it to be a bit long to type out the whole thing Wink

That's what I thought, in terms of the long term visa stuff. Every time I hear anything about visa policy changes it sends alarm bells off in my head, since I've run into issues before in the past. Visa stuff always seems to end up being more complicated than it "should" be, and I recently ran into issues with visa changes for Americans in another country.

The help is much appreciated. Hopefully all will go well, and I've started learning some Czech, hopefully it will make some impression on employers and improve the teaching if I'm able to have some language knowledge once I'm there.

Děkuji!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is everything here; when are you thinking of coming?

You get some brownie points for studying Czech in advance. Dobra prace!

P.S. It's rather similar to the United States, the USSmile

Last edited by spiral78 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be coming at the end of December, hoping to catch the openings that pop up in January. Seems like there are some openings or projects and stuff all year round, but that sounds like a good time...I bet it'll be cold!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we had almost no winter, but normally it's quite cold, and it's a damp cold, so it feels colder than the temperature would indicate. Layers and high-tech outerwear are useful.

Yes, there are occasional bits and pieces all the time, but you need someone to want enough of you to help you jump through the visa hoops. Probably wouldn't hurt to try sending your CV and cert copy with a cover letter around, and try to set up an interview or two in advance.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, appreciate the tips on the weather, I'm sure I'll be prepared for that well enough.

I already did send me resume to a bunch of schools, and I'll probably follow up with them before I arrive. Talked to some people over the phone and even had one phone interview, but wasn't hired I'm assuming because, I'm not present.

So I already have a few nibbles here and there, and possibly these contacts will remember me well enough that it may help.

May end up mostly skipping prague, we'll see how it looks, suppose it couldn't hurt to visit a larger school there to see if they recruit for other cities.
Sigma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could certainly try some other cities in the Czech Republic (Olomouc, Brno, Ceske Budejovice, Plzen, Teplice, Opava, Ostrava, Zlin, Jihlava, Kolin, Pardubice, Hradec Kralove, Sokolov, Usti nad Labem etc)
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly try those areas, since prague sounds fun but probably more likely to find work in other areas. Usually the case with capital cities being the most competitive places.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one last question anyway, I think. If openings pop up in January, would it be better to show up in mid-December assuming schools would need to apply for a visa if you were to start in January?

If they want you to start in January, wouldn't they need to apply in December and wait the time it takes to process the visa, be it a few weeks or a month, or however long?

I forgot to mention that I have a B.A. in English Literature, not sure if that would help or not. I read some previous posts (albeit from 2012) with some different opinions on how difficult the job market is. Some saying that there are people with M.A.'s having some difficulty finding work, to some people saying it was fairly easy back then.

Anyway, I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, but it would be nice to spend some time in the CR. At this point I'm reading up on teaching methodology and whatnot. The main point is that my teaching experience in Asia may not count for much (It seems like). I'm really eager at this point to get experience at a good school with European students, which is one of the main goals in going to the CR as well.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools can't/won't help you apply for a visa til you have an actual contract with them (and again, they need to want you for enough hours weekly to justify jumping through the hoops).

You enter on a regular tourist status (no visa, 90 day maximum in the Schengen zone - it won't help you to cross a border and then return). Inside those 90 days, you need to file the paperwork for a work visa. Ideally, then, in January you'll file. It is normally ok to start work so long as the paperwork is on file. Visas can take 4-6 weeks (or longer or less, depending on a myriad of unpredictable factors). Since you're ok to be in the CR til the end of March (assuming you arrive early Jan) you've got that long to get paperwork in hand.

Your English lit BA won't probably help much. You won't be teaching lit.
Your teaching in Asia won't count much. No-one can predict what, if anything, you'll find! But good luck, and pm me if I can help at all in Jan.
Coolguy123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, and will do. Appreciate it, and will contact you if there's anything Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: