Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Central / South America - no degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharona

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Teaching in Central / South America - no degree Reply with quote

Hi, I am a 53 year old New Zealander.

I am really keen to come and teach English anywhere in central or south America (except I'm not so keen on Argentina or Brazil).

I have the Cambridge CELTA certificate, however I don't have a university degree.

I taught English in China for about six months 5 years ago but had to return to NZ due to ill health, and I don't have much paperwork to show that I did it.

Here in NZ I have worked as a special needs teacher aide, and have spent the last 3 years working in a high school library.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would it make a difference if I began work on a degree via correspondence?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might mention Spanish language skills, if you have them.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Latin America Forums, Sharona!

I'd suggest you begin by reading through this thread, at least the first part before it gets hijacked by an unrelated topic. This will give you an idea of what some of your options are.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108353&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

In addition, a number of us have posted links to volunteer opportunities in Latin America here. Some of these might be a good place to get your foot in the door, particularly if you don't yet speak much Spanish.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108694

Finally, you might be interested in following Jultime's story. She's a fifty-something Canadian without a four-year degree who has taken the plunge and now taking a CELTA course in Mexico in hopes of teaching there later. Indeed, you might actually want to send her a PM. Though, since she's doing the CELTA right now, don't be surprised if she doesn't get back to you for a few weeks.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=107685

After checking out these threads, you might want to come back and post followup questions and/or continue on to some of the country specific threads.
sharona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Spanish Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, links etc. It seems have some reading to do and will no doubt come back to you with more questions in a few days.

Speaking Spanish?? I had this funny instinctual feeling that I HAD learn it a while back, but never gave it enough priority (even though its the one language I am keen to learn).

Probably the earliest I could travel would be in four months time or so, so if I decide that South America is feasible then I guess an autonomous crash course would be very much in order.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Spanish Reply with quote

sharona wrote:
Probably the earliest I could travel would be in four months time or so, so if I decide that South America is feasible then I guess an autonomous crash course would be very much in order.

You might try sending Jultime a PM regarding her experience with the one month intensive that she just completed in Guatemala.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: