Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bahasa Indonesia Fluency Requirement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Listerine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Holy massacred formatting, batman! On the phone, will have to make do for now. Side note ~ just read that approval has been given to open a Hooters in Jakarta. You Indon-dwelling boyz watch yer backs now, ya 'cause that should get things messy, LOL.

*fixed!!*
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listerine wrote:
Side note ~ just read that approval has been given to open a Hooters in Jakarta. You Indon-dwelling boyz watch yer backs now, ya 'cause that should get things messy, LOL.

Listerine,

Haha! I can never say that name with a straight face..."hooters".

Naw, I feel whenever I pass it I have to proclaim it loudly and proudly and most certainly in a drawn out manner at about 110 decibels:

"HUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-DDDDDDDDEERRRRRRRRSSSSSS!"

I hope the one in Indo is better than the one we had in Chengdu--that place was the dead zone--those waitresses had absolutely no enthusiasm whatsoever. Sad, sad, sad. Now the Beijing Hooters...that is a lair of spirit that could get messy faster than it takes to foul up a newly cleaned Beijing West Station toilet.

So...here's to gettin' messy! [raises glass to "toast"]

Warm regards,
fat_chris
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listerine wrote:
I doubt Dumb-kiri and his inglorious family deserve much better.

Laughing I'll take that as a "yes" then.

Slagging off innocent nannies and grannies - regardless of their country of origin, social status and cultural upbringing, I suppose(?) - is just good sport, and, one can safely assume, well-deserved. Carry on then, Squire. Laughing
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/03/05/minister-prepares-language-proficiency-test.html

Hanif Dhakiri (not the cocktail) has made his latest announcement about the Bahasa Indonesia test. You can read the full article above, but the key piece of new information is the following:

"Hanif said the planned policy would be imposed on foreigners already working in the country."

Until now there had been speculation about whether existing expats would get a reprieve, but apparently not. They will have to sit it as well as newbies.
Lack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a real incentive: "Become fluent in a useless language so that you can come work a less-than-minimum-wage job paid in a currency that can't stay afloat!"

Main thing for me, is it is good to know that if this passes I can cross Indo off my list as a potential place to work. Not that it was high on my list already.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this interesting bit of information on an expat management site the other day. It would seem that Bahasa Indonesia proficiency certificates are already been requested as part of the work permit application process:

"Immigration authorities have increased enforcement of the requirement for foreign nationals applying for work permits at the Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board’s (BKPM) One Stop Service (OSS) Center to pass a Bahasa Indonesia language proficiency test. The related regulation states that a language proficiency certificate must now be submitted as part of a TA-01 (recommendation for work permit) application. It is likely that this requirement may apply to work permit renewals within the coming months."

That might be why there have been a lot less Indonesian teaching jobs advertised of late. Maybe the OSS have already started asking for Bahasa Indonesia certs.

http://totallyexpat.com/global-immigration-news/indonesia-bahasa-indonesia-proficiency-test-requirement-enforced/
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe all the wanna be bule teachers can do an intensive weekend Bahasa Indonesia course in their country of origin when they return to get their medical check ups?
p1randal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all fine but the most important questions have yet to be answered.

1. What will satisfy the requirements? What skill level is good enough? Numbers? Basic Convo? What?

2.The amount of Bahasa it would take to really make a mark would take a few years of classes. A few weekend intensive courses would allow you to ask basic phrases but it's basically a punishment.

Also, I wish people would stop using "bule" on here and give the profession the respect it deserves.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Maybe all the wanna be bule teachers can do an intensive weekend Bahasa Indonesia course in their country of origin when they return to get their medical check ups?

Just to clarify. Do you have to do your medical check-up in your own country now? I recall doing mine at a chaotic, overcrowded hospital in South Jakarta. Are the authorities not letting people do medical check-ups in Indonesia now?
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion combining the medical with learning the language was a kind of joke that was meant to reflect on the absurdity of the requirements to work in Indonesia now....I've been gone for the last 2 years-lived and worked there for over 8....but in no way would I even consider it as a teaching destination at the moment with the new regulations-it seems to me that ministry of manpower/ education/ Diknas-whoever are developing policy requirements that are aimed at deterring new arrivals and [with the medical undertaken in country of origin-even for renewals!] encouraging those who have lived and worked here for a while to go elsewhere.....
jef dam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to see here...

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/news/indonesia-withdraw-local-language-plan-foreign-workers-sources/

Quote:
Jakarta. Indonesia will withdraw a plan that would force foreign workers to take local language proficiency exams after protests from investors, two government officials said.

Manpower Minister Muhammad Hanif Dhakiri earlier this month told reporters the government would require existing and prospective foreigners to pass Indonesian language tests to work in the country, a move seen by many foreign investors as protectionist.

Currently, foreigners do not have to speak Indonesian to receive a work permit for Southeast Asia’s largest economy.

“Coordinating ministers agreed last week that the planned regulation should be dropped. The details are now being worked out within the cabinet,” said a government official, with knowledge of the matter, who declined to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

A second government official confirmed that the plan for language tests would be withdrawn after “many people complained, including domestic investors who said they needed foreign expertise.”

Minister Dhakiri on Friday denied that the language test requirements would be cancelled. The minister was not immediately available for comment on Tuesday.

Companies have increasingly raised concerns about the growing difficulties of obtaining work permits for foreign workers, with language exams being the latest example.

“If they do withdraw this, we are encouraged by that. It is an unnecessary barrier,” said Lin Neumann, managing director of the American Chamber of Commerce Indonesia.

Vice President Jusuf Kalla told Reuters last week that the planned regulation was “well intentioned” to protect low-skilled jobs ahead of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) integration this year, but should be reviewed because of its potential impact on investment.

President Joko Widodo, who took office in October, wants to spur economic growth from an estimated 5.1 percent in 2014 to 5.8 percent this year, relying mainly on higher investment.

As expected, all huff and puff with no follow through..
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the same for the newly conjured up native English School regulations in Thailand some time in the future. Although I wonder if it might have gotten rid of many of the U.K. teachers that were at my old school. That would be a plus.
jef dam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside, can I get a link to the immigration law that states that health checks for ex-pats must be from their country of origin? Failing that a news article will suffice. I've done some looking but all I've found are posts on this and another forum.

For what it's worth, I did my health check this morning at work with doctors from the local RSU, so if this law is being implemented it's not being implemented across the board.

Ta.

JD
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the government has done another new U-turn. Well, not officially yet. The article in the Jakarta Globe was from unnamed sources, but it seems that the Bahasa Indonesia Fluency Test is about to be thrown on the scrap heap just as the OSS started asking for it!

You do have to wonder why government ministers are constantly appearing in newspapers and announcing regulations that will never come into force. Dhakiri, the Manpower Minster, has announced this test three times, declaring that it is completely necessary to protect Indonesian workers. Then the minute it is about to come into force, more senior ministries realize that it is going to be a disaster for foreign investment and it is probably going to be dropped.

The difference between this test and the English Degree requirement (I suspect) is that the Bahasa Indonesia test was going to apply to all expats. The language academy industry is small fry compared to the big miners and manufacturers. The government doesn't care if it hurts a few language schools but they can't afford to annoy miners and manufacturers who contribute a big chunk of GDP. Still, this flip-flopping decision-making looks unprofessional and damages the country's reputation. This Bahasa Indonesia test story has been all over the web for months, with a lot of commentary about how xenophobic Indonesia is becoming. Would it be too much to ask that the government communicate effectively between departments before annuncing this stuff?
shelly9782

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad were just losing great teachers. to many laws. Oh well.... Guess I will not be coming back to Jakarta. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: