Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public school offer by CITA in Shenzhen - visa question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantomquill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Public school offer by CITA in Shenzhen - visa question Reply with quote

Hello all,

I was offered a job by the Chinese International Teachers' Association in Shenzhen to work in a public school. According to their website, they are a non-profit working with the government to provide schools and universities (not training centers) with foreign teachers.

I accepted the job in May, starting in September. I was just told that my work visa documents were rejected, four times. Reason: I don't have 2 years of teaching experience and my place of birth is a sensitive subject (born in the Middle East).

The organization says they still want me to teach in Shenzhen. They are proposing that I come on a Tourist Visa, while they apply for my Z Visa documents in Beijing now (as opposed to Shenzhen). They said Shenzhen is more 'strict,' making it sound as if it will be easier to get my work visa documents in Beijing. Then they propose I go to Hong Kong to get my official Z Visa.

I have read the awesome post on this forum on Z Visas, Tourist Visas and possible scams (thank you to all who contributed): Z Visas and Resident Permits

I have also read this related post on the same subject (thank you to all who contributed): Teaching on a tourist visa

In one of my interviews with this organization, I talked to an American national who had previously been teaching in China for 5 years, and is currently helping the organization build their ESL curriculum. My conversation with him alleviated any previous misgivings I had about the organization. However, they're back now.

1. Has anyone heard of or worked with this organization in the past? Or is working with them currently? Can I take them on their word? (Yes, I've done the Google searches. Nothing sketchy.)

2. If my work visa documents were rejected in Shenzhen, why would it be any easier for them to pass in Beijing? Does that make any sense to people who have experience with China and work visas?

Sorry for the long post. Thank you to anyone who can provide helpful information.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give up. You're toast.
Piper2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I agree with Bud on this. (Though I am not so sure you are that poster with the scary avatar who has gone M.I.A or maybe (Mr)K.I.A.)

Since the tightening of visa regulations in July of 2013, regulations have been tightened all over China. Having two years experience is a basic requirement. Having a passport from an English-speaking country is increasingly a must.

I personally do not understand why this CITA (says) it is trying so hard to employ you. It would make more sense to (give up and) employ someone else.

Try somewhere else.
phantomquill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

I currently hold a Canadian passport. I believed (was led to?) that my current experience and qualifications would be enough.

If anyone else can chime in with their thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Whatever happens, I'll post an update in this thread.

Thanks.
mike w

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arriving on a tourist visa = one big red flag - run!!!

If they cannot supply the corrrect documents now, you being in Shenzhen will not make any difference.

I suspect that they intend to employ you illegally.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are legit provincial-level organisations trying to recruit for groups of schools in their home provinces, which are likely to be the hard-to-staff ones.
They themselves are not authorised to hire and in fact they probably don't know which school you will be assigned to if you go to China under their auspices.
You meet these people at places like the Beijing Employment Fair.
The guy I spoke to in BJ had a very sketchy idea of the visa process although I found him honest and well-intentioned.
The point is though 'Why should we take a chance?'
It's up to the employer or provincial government to get their stuff together before they start talking to teachers.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's up to the employer or provincial government to get their stuff together before they start talking to teachers."

Well said NS!

I would have to say they are off in fantasy land for saying Beijing is easier than Shenzhen. Shenzhen is not easy now, but Beijing was perhaps the worst until recently when they lightened up a bit. Still Beijing is right up there as one of the most difficult. I would pass. They have little to lose in attempting this route, whereas you have much to lose.

Schools are extra desperate now that a year of these new regulations are having an adverse effect on the supply of teachers. Raising salaries would be the logical answer. Yet there is resistance to this, along with the hefty overhead schools must pay for the social insurance contribution. Point being the schools are in a bind, and the job seeker should be extra wary now.
phantomquill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, Sequitur, Mike,

Thanks for your replies. I talked to another teacher working for CITA. He's been there for a year. He said he was in the same boat as me, but he ended up getting his work visa. As far as he knows (and he admitted his knowledge was limited) the organization does employ everyone on legal work visa. I know this doesn't guarantee anything.

I'm still negotiating the details. Whatever happens, I'll post it up here.

Thanks again.
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomquill wrote:
Hey Jim, Sequitur, Mike,

Thanks for your replies. I talked to another teacher working for CITA. He's been there for a year. He said he was in the same boat as me, but he ended up getting his work visa. As far as he knows (and he admitted his knowledge was limited) the organization does employ everyone on legal work visa. I know this doesn't guarantee anything.

I'm still negotiating the details. Whatever happens, I'll post it up here.

Thanks again.

A word of caution. How did you get this FT's contact info? The employer can put you in contact with the people they choose.

I too would not chance it.
thechangling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CITA based in Shenzhen are advertising yet again for teachers (which in itself is often a red flag in China I know) so I'd like to know from anyone out there if they are good to work for.
I've read the visa horror stories that a couple of other posters talked about, so can anyone give some more details on what it's like to work for this outfit overall?
talentedcrayon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not work on a tourist visa. Get the necessary experience and reapply OP.

I wanted to teach ESL overseas since I was in high school. It sucked having to wait until I was qualified, especially knowing that there were many unqualified teachers doing it, but I don't regret it.

I don't think your place of birth is the real issue. The real problem is the experience.
MrWright

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for CITA. They are a mixed bag. I've only been here since late sept. I am on a tourist visa. I know, I know. I just got the new 10 year one. But they say they are moving on my work visa. They do drag their feet and wait till the last possible moment, but they do get people work visas. This is only their 2nd year doing this, and they are still learning. Nice people. Love my school. Not the most efficient organization, but they are legit.
ESL104

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
I work for CITA. They are a mixed bag. I've only been here since late sept. I am on a tourist visa. I know, I know. I just got the new 10 year one. But they say they are moving on my work visa. They do drag their feet and wait till the last possible moment, but they do get people work visas. This is only their 2nd year doing this, and they are still learning. Nice people. Love my school. Not the most efficient organization, but they are legit.

Hey MrWright,

Interested to hear more about this if you wouldn't mind - you say CITA can get you a work visa but you're on a tourist visa now. Does that mean they're able to process working visas in Hong Kong, or otherwise make it so you don't have to fly 'home'?

I was under the impression in Guangdong province everyone had to fly home to get the Z visa? Which I've found a really annoying BS requirement since I'm looking at Shenzhen too. If this organisation can get the work visa I'll have a chat with them about their positions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: