Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CV Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: CV Question Reply with quote

Hello,

When writing a CV, what do you consider worthy of continuing education/professional development? Would it be appropriate to list a four hour workshop?

Any experienced advice appreciated. I'm referring to a CV used in an academic North American context.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What types of jobs are you applying for? What types of degrees and previous experience do you have?

Listing a four hour workshop, in principle, is fine, just so long as it's relevant to the position and the content (or date that you took the workshop) isn't superseded by subsequent degrees and experience.

For example, I no longer bother to list the various PD workshops I took as an adult ESL tutor since (1) that was years ago, (2) I've since earned an MA, and (3) I now work in higher ed instead of adult ed. Back when I was a newbie instructor, though, listing that training was important.

I do, however, mention more recent workshops in technology, assessment, diversity training, and administration that are relevant to positions I might apply for in higher ed and show that I've been making an effort to stay-up-to-date following completion of my MA.

I'd suggest adding a section to your CV titled "Selected Professional Development" (which implies that you've done more but are only listing what's relevant to the position) and, then, list in reverse chronological order any trainings, workshops, etc. you've completed in the last 3-5 years that are relevant to the actual position that you're applying for. If you've done a lot of PD, you might group your PD by subcategories (e.g., Teaching and Learning, Administration, Diversity and Educational Equity, etc.)

When listing PD work on a CV, I usually work on the premise that employers are looking for evidence that I am (1) a learner and not just a teacher, (2) making an effort to stay-up-to-date on new developments in teaching, in general, and ESL, in particular, and (3) knowledgeable about concepts that reflect institutional priorities (e.g., online learning, managing diversity in the classroom, effectively assessing students, etc.)

So to answer your question, is that four hour PD workshop relevant to the position you apply for? If so, by all means list it. If not, well . . . then . . . don't.

I'm assuming that by North American academic context, you are thinking of community colleges or university IEPs. If you're looking at tenure track positions where you'd primarily be teaching teachers of ESL rather than actual ESL students, I think much of the above advice would apply, but I'd encourage you to repost this question on the forums over at the Chronicle of Higher Education and/or check with your academic adviser and/or career services office at your PhD granting institution. You may well get a somewhat different perspective.

Good luck!
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ESL_prof!

I only have an undergraduate degree (in TESL), so right now, I'm looking towards assistant positions (in colleges) or the government-funded programs for newcomers. I need more local experience before my MA application. I'm a newbie teacher for sure, so sounds like it is important to list. Thanks!
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Please keep us posted on your job search and eventual transition to grad school. Sharing these experiences, I think, goes a long way towards helping others who follow in your footsteps later.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ESL_prof! I intend to document the experience for others. Here in Canada (I don't know about the USA), it is quite difficult to break into colleges. Experience abroad doesn't really count compared to Canadian experience. I'm currently still a volunteer teacher, but I'm in a solid organization and waiting my turn Smile
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the U.S. it's simple enough to for qualified instructors to find adjunct work at the college level. Getting on full-time, however, is an entirely different story and, alas, simply isn't in the cards for most of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: