Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How good is your CV?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
Elicit wrote:
2) Where should I put an entry for academic journal peer reviewer?

I'd suggest putting it in a section titled "Service" or "Reviewing". Indicate the name of the journal and, optionally, the year(s) that you reviewed manuscripts.

OK, great. Thanks. New ‘Reviewing’ section created.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Elicit wrote:
1) Qualifications. Newest or highest first in the list?

Generally, the highest degree or qualification is the newest (by date), which shows progression. But if you think of quals as a CELTA, Delta, BA, MA, etc., rather than combining them all in one group, separate them by type under specific categories -- one for academic degrees, the other for professional development. For example:

EDUCATION
    Ph.D., Curriculum and Instruction...
    M.A., Applied Linguistics...
    B.A., Social Sciences...
TEACHING & TRAINING QUALIFICATIONS
    Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Delta), Module 1...
    Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)...
Alternately, you can list them all under EDUCATION & TRAINING, but keep your academic degrees grouped separately from your training quals.

Quote:
2) Where should I put an entry for academic journal peer reviewer?

Under a separate category, either as OTHER or specifically, something like EDITORIAL ACTIVITIES. Be sure the author is okay with you including this on your CV.

Quote:
3) As well as my main job, I do 2 part-time roles for other institutions that are relevant to future job applications. Do they go in the work experience section with all my full time jobs? If so, before or after my current main job? If not, do I need another section and what should it be named?

Use OTHER EXPERIENCE, after your main experience section. However... Be aware that working outside of your contracted, full-time job is illegal in many countries. It will be obvious to prospective employers.

What are these roles? We might be able to figure out how to include them without it looking like you work on the side if that's a concern to you. Otherwise, include this experience on your CV only if relevant to the position you're applying to.

Thanks for the clarification on qualifications. I’ll put anything teaching related in a different section to the purely academic.

The two additional p/t roles are IELTS examining and module tutoring, assignment marking, and dissertation supervision and marking for MA AL and TESOL related programmes at HE institutions other than the one I work for full-time. No conflict of interest to report from my current employer luckily. Where should I put those? Don’t really want another 2 separate sections, do I?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
The two additional p/t roles are IELTS examining and module tutoring, assignment marking, and dissertation supervision and marking for MA AL and TESOL related programmes at HE institutions other than the one I work for full-time. No conflict of interest to report from my current employer luckily. Where should I put those? Don’t really want another 2 separate sections, do I?

Then incorporate those roles under EXPERIENCE. Start with your current, full-time job and add the PT work in order by date. I suggest you label those positions as "part-time" or "freelance" to avoid confusion as to which job is full time.

BTW, assignment marking was the norm in every academic teaching job I had. Confused
Elicit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I thought the p/t roles looked strange in with the regular full time work, but i’ll clearly label them so that should do the trick.

I have never held an academic job per se. Not sure we can count EAP and ESAP as being so. Many places are putting some form of academic engagement here on their wish list, which is why I am going to stick this experience on my CV. At least it may prove to be more enticing to prospective employers than my 200m breaststroke certificate. 🙂
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
I have never held an academic job per se. Not sure we can count EAP and ESAP as being so. Many places are putting some form of academic engagement here on their wish list, which is why I am going to stick this experience on my CV.

English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and English for Specific Academic Purposes (ESAP) are valid ESP domains in terms of preparing students for academic studies in English-medium universities. EAP programs I taught in focused on critical thinking in reading, ethics, group problem solving, report writing and citations, dissertation research, and so on.

If you developed academic content or taught in some context of EAP, you might want to be clear on your CV about what the learning outcomes or goals were.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=116964
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: