Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working while doing an MA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Working while doing an MA Reply with quote

I am interested in hearing about other people’s experiences of doing an MA TESOL (or any other actually) while working full time. I’m currently on the last few months of mine, just starting the dissertation. While haven’t found it too hard to balance study and work so far, I recently started a new, much more demanding job (bad timing but I couldn’t turn it down) and have started to find it really difficult, now having only weekend to do any masters work. I’ve thought about deferring it but really don’t want to at this stage.

Anyway, I’m not looking for answers really I’d just like to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or have any advice about balancing it all!?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Working while doing an MA Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
I am interested in hearing about other people’s experiences of doing an MA TESOL (or any other actually) while working full time. I’m currently on the last few months of mine, just starting the dissertation. While haven’t found it too hard to balance study and work so far, I recently started a new, much more demanding job (bad timing but I couldn’t turn it down) and have started to find it really difficult, now having only weekend to do any masters work. I’ve thought about deferring it but really don’t want to at this stage.

Anyway, I’m not looking for answers really I’d just like to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or have any advice about balancing it all!?

I worked full time through my M.Ed and PhD. The coursework part was easy. It was no different than working while doing my BA.

In the case of the Master and PhD, while it was challenging to get the reading done while holding down a full time job. The research and writing weren't such a big deal. My students were my research subjects for both the master and PhD so that part was easier once I got it through the ethics committee.

Otherwise, the proposal defense, writing the paper and thesis/dissertation defense we certainly do-able while working full-time. Having a good advisor makes a world of difference.

If your MA research is based on secondary information and data collection (as compared to doing original research and data collection) then the reading and sourcing your data will be your biggest challenge with the time constraint of working full time.

Last edited by suphanburi on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
While haven’t found it too hard to balance study and work so far, I recently started a new, much more demanding job (bad timing but I couldn’t turn it down) and have started to find it really difficult, now having only weekend to do any masters work. I’ve thought about deferring it but really don’t want to at this stage.

My experience was different; my MA in Teaching program required a supervised practicum and portfolio. I continued to work full time during the day (in a non-educational role) and taught ESL a few evenings each week for my teaching practice while also completing my portfolio. However, my day job wasn't new, and although it offered some flexibility, I still needed to maintain a tight schedule to balance work and studies. This also was my second master's degree -- I was used to doing a lot of research and writing for both school and my job.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, seriously consider deferring school until you've settled into your new job. Otherwise, both your studies and work may be negatively impacted.
RunItTwice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked part-time while working on my MA.

I don't think I could take on a full-time MA and a full-time job at the same time. One of the two would have to be part-time for me to give myself at least a little free time.

Know thyself OP and your answers will come to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: