Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native English teacher in the ME???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anileve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Non-native English teacher in the ME??? Reply with quote

Hi, I would like to hear some opinions on my chances to find a good job in KSA, UAE, Kuwait or Qatar. I have a MA in linguistics, a BA in English and another BA in education. About 1,5-2 years of experience at the time of application. HOWEVER, I’m not a native speaker. I’m from one of the Scandinavian countries, how will this affect my chances of finding a job? Also, if it matters, I’m a woman.

All replies are appreciated =)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-native English teacher in the ME??? Reply with quote

The UAE requires a minimum of 3 years of university experience. Qatar and Kuwait generally require at least 2 years. KSA is more flexible in terms of experience, but that may differ for non-native speakers.

A few questions...

- Do you have a CELTA or equivalent TEFL certificate?
- Are your degrees from Anglophone universities?
- What's your specific paid EFL teaching experience to date? In other words, where (country) have you gained your teaching experience? Are you teaching children or adults? If the latter, is it in a language school or a university EFL program?
Anileve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I actually would be more interested in KSA than the other countries in ME. As for your questions, I dont have a CELTA or anything equivalent, would that be necessary taking into consideration that I have a degree in education? My degrees are from Swedish universities. I have worked with both children and adult learners here in Sweden, however not in a university. Should I apply for a position at a saudi university or is there no point in doing that at all?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At KFUPM I had a Swedish colleague. He may have had dual nationality but he was in KSA on his Swedish passport. CELTA or similar will help in getting a job. I recommend one of the universities. Direct hire is better than through a contractor.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anileve wrote:
I guess I actually would be more interested in KSA than the other countries in ME.

Why? Are you familiar at all with any of the other countries? For a woman, KSA is the most repressive country. You may want to look into both the UAE and Oman as they are certainly more pleasant places to live and work... especially for women.

I taught with a Swedish woman at Sultan Qaboos University in Oman.

To get any of the better direct hire university jobs in the Middle East, you really need a year or two more of directly related experience. You want to be able to say that you have experience teaching Academic English for university level students.

VS
Anileve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your replies.

Why KSA? Good question. Money, adventure, something like that. But yes, I should probably look into these other countries too. Even if I end up in KSA, its not like I'm planning to stay forever. But since it seems easier to get a job in KSA, maybe that will have to be my first option for now.

I have no other option than applying for the direct hire university jobs (contractors only want native speakers). Do universities in KSA also demand 1-2 years experience teaching academic english? Those jobs are more or less impossible to get here in Sweden, a university job here requires a phd.

If I decide to take a CELTA course, would it matter in which country it was completed? We dont have CELTA courses in Sweden, which country should I choose for that purpose?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I have recommended Egypt to get the CELTA at the British Council. But, while things seem to have settled down there, it still might be problematic for a blonde who is new to the Middle East. Cool

Why not look at Morocco for the course? Rabat is a lovely city if it is offered there. And it would give you experience with Arabic speakers which would look good on the CV.

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Tunis?

http://www.britishcouncil.tn/en/teach/celta

Regards,
John
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anileve wrote:
I have no other option than applying for the direct hire university jobs (contractors only want native speakers).

If I decide to take a CELTA course, would it matter in which country it was completed? We dont have CELTA courses in Sweden, which country should I choose for that purpose?

Try the English Language Institute at King Abdulaziz University in Saudi Arabia. They hire non-native teachers---nearly all hold a CELTA. I believe you'll need to have an IELTS band score of 8 or more. Their website: http://eli.kau.edu.sa/Default.aspx?Site_ID=126&Lng=EN

For the CELTA, consider doing the course in Morocco, Oman, or Jordan (preferably Oman because it's in the Gulf). As others pointed out, this will give you the opportunity to do your supervised teaching practice with Arabic-speaking students.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the jobs on here and TEFL.com and apply for Oman.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Oman to be "easier" than the UAE, Kuwait, and KSA in terms of adjusting to Arab culture. Some people might think the UAE would have been easier, but again, it was just my personal experience. I have taught in all four counties. KSA will always (on average) pay more than Oman. That's the rub - a little less stress, but a little less money. If you wanted to spend the least amount of time, while saving the most amount of money, I would recommend KSA.

I would jump at the chance to go to Morocco for the CELTA course if I didn't already have one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: