Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Teaching Jobs in the United States
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: ESL Teaching Jobs in the US Reply with quote

Hello, Indogal,
As someone who has taught decades in the U.S. as a licensed ESL teacher at secondary schools and also at tertiary institutions in the US as well as overseas (with M.A.), you should know:
Due to the current ACA regs (2015), adjuncts' hours have been shaved for compliance. Licensed ESL p.s. teachers actually earn $10-15K more per year than college teachers plus benefits, although those too are being reduced. Yes, there are many college positions advertised but mostly for EEO compliance, as they already have a preferred internal candidate in mind and salary range is often $30-40s whereas in p.s. it is often $50k+. I sent you a PM.
Good luck.
aviator1x1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Adjuncting Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that adjuncts in my college district are limited to 9 hours of instruction per week. (this is the district's contract limits) This means you may have to hustle across freeways to other campuses in order to make a middle class wage. I have been doing this for two years as a freeway flyer, but there are many others who have been doing it for over five years. I've even heard from some adjuncts with k-12 teaching credentials that they are going to look for full time teaching positions in primary and secondary education. I forgot to mention that I live in CA and the job market sucks for ESL instructors.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: ESL Teaching Jobs in the U.S. Reply with quote

Aviator,
Yes, adjuncting can be time-consuming and stressful but as we know, everyone must have health coverage or incur a penalty. Sometimes the latter is more economical in the long term. I think Indogal is leaning towards public school which may be much more lucrative. It's all a matter of the tradeoffs one is willing to accept.

PS
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjuncting Reply with quote

aviator1x1 wrote:
I just wanted to add that adjuncts in my college district are limited to 9 hours of instruction per week. (this is the district's contract limits) This means you may have to hustle across freeways to other campuses in order to make a middle class wage. I have been doing this for two years as a freeway flyer, but there are many others who have been doing it for over five years. I've even heard from some adjuncts with k-12 teaching credentials that they are going to look for full time teaching positions in primary and secondary education. I forgot to mention that I live in CA and the job market sucks for ESL instructors.

By night, I am an energetic and bubbly ESL instructor who makes an excellent wage for a small amount of hours - by day, I am a humble special needs instructional aide.

As Missy Elliot said:

"Girl, girl, get that cash
If it's 9 to 5 or shakin' your ...
Ain't no shame, ladies do your thing
Just make sure you ahead of the game"

Laughing

Such is the life for many of us who choose to stay in North America.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: ESL Teaching Jobs in the U.S. Reply with quote

To all,
Yes, many ESL instructors must have at least two jobs to make ends meet in the U.S. As for adjuncting, one often must wait until the last minute (after already having spent countless hours preparing a syllabus and schedule of assignments) to learn if one's class has sufficient enrollment. It's a precarious life. I had pieced together various college gigs at night and like many of you, decided to become licensed as a p.s. ESL teacher by daylight. It's difficult to imagine being able to retire at age 65-66. Many of my colleagues at the college are well beyond that age. I'm sure you've read about the female Ph.D. who was an adjunct at Duquesne University for years and couldn't afford to pay her electric bills. I'll spare you the rest. When you read all those adverts on tesol.org, it's mind-boggling that the institution requires "some evenings and weekends" with committee participation, curriculum development, testing administration, blah, blah for a pathetic salary of $30-42k annually (before taxes). It seems being licensed to teach p.s. or pursuing a Master's in Technology would be more lucrative these days. Also, states with teacher unions pay much more than states which ban collective bargaining (compare $96k vs. $55k annually)!
PS
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there are states with the Right to Work law, like Arizona,
which must mean that unions are weak there.

What about private schools? What websites have job listings?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:

Other than checking out individual schools' websites, there's TESOL.org, higheredjobs.com, chronicle.com, insidehighered.com, and even Craigslist for teaching openings.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
mitsui wrote:

Other than checking out individual schools' websites, there's TESOL.org, higheredjobs.com, chronicle.com, insidehighered.com, and even Craigslist for teaching openings.

Also, don't forget to check the HR or employment links on the webpages of specific schools you might be interested in that are located in areas where you want to teach.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: ESL Teaching Jobs in the US Reply with quote

Speaking of TESOL job searching, I received the following email from TESOL.ORG's Career Center:

Dear TESOL Members,

Earlier this week we identified an instance of email spamming activity on the TESOL Career Center. Unfortunately, email scams are a common occurrence with many Internet sites and TESOL is aware of, and takes very seriously, the concerns of this latest threat.

Most recently, scammers have been targeting well-known job boards like the TESOL Career Center to create fake employer accounts and job descriptions. By using stolen credit card information to purchase and post fraudulent job postings, the scammers attempt to phish for personal information through the resume database. Their primary goal is to spam any applicants with an existing resume in the system; asking them to setup a Yahoo Messenger account to learn more about the job position.

We want to ensure you that the TESOL Career Center and all user information are not at risk. By working with our job board provider, Boxwood Career Solutions, we were able to quickly take the following steps:
◾Locate and shut down all fraudulent employer accounts
◾Remove all phony job postings
◾Change the employer email address and reset the employer's validation status.
◾Prohibit the employer from accessing the TESOL Career Center

If you have any questions or would like to report spamming activity, please feel free to contact the TESOL Career Center customer support at [email protected].

Apologies if I've posted in the incorrect section of the eslcafe.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean private secondary schools.
I found one for New England, but not one for the whole USA.

Maybe they are listed as independent schools.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:

Try Googling "ESL programs at private secondary schools" and see what comes up. If you can't find a central job listing, try the websites of specific schools that you're interested in.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:

NAIS (National Association of Independent Schools) has a nationwide directory on their site. It is searchable by city and state.
http://www.nais.org/Pages/default.aspx

They also have a "Career Center" section where you can find job listings for private schools across the country.
http://careers.nais.org/jobs/

There is also a statewide association of independent schools in many states.

Keep in mind that many independent schools are associated with a particular religion, and that there are a number of associations for schools with various religious orientations (Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc.) Another subset of independent schools will have specific educational philosophies (Waldorf, Montessori, etc.) Most of the association sites have job listings.

As an example, this is a page of secondary school job listings in Waldorf Schools:
http://jobs.waldorftoday.com/jobs/high-school/

Here is a list of associations of various types (or regions) of independent schools:
http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/bm1308-04.pdf

And here is a site listing boarding schools (oriented toward prospective student families, but there is a directory.)
http://www.boardingschools.com/find-a-school/school-browser.aspx

mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is it. Thanks.
Seems like fewer jobs than in the past.
More people are probably looking at teaching as a career.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Hot Spots for Teaching Jobs in the USA
By Tim Winterview, Monster.com
http://teaching.monster.com/careers/articles/3375-5-hot-spots-for-teaching-jobs-in-the-usa

I visit many Web forums and communities where I have the opportunity to chat with people in search of teaching jobs. One question that arises time and time again is: Where are the best places to look for teaching jobs in the United States?

While many candidates have family, home, or community ties that prevent them from relocating to a new city, there seems to be an increasing number of college graduates who are excited about the opportunities to relocate to new areas, begin their teaching career, and experience a new lifestyle. Those who have the freedom to move are looking for places with 1) Teacher Shortages, 2) High Quality-of-Life, and 3) Low Cost-of-Living. To find these places, look for economic growth trends and population booms. Also, look for places that do not have an excess of teacher colleges as these areas will have a less competitive job market.

Here is a list of “hot spots” – popular places for teaching candidates to search for jobs – in the United States. This list is based solely on my interpretation of my conversations with people in search of teaching jobs and recent graduates.
    Nevada/Las Vegas: Clark County Schools are especially popular lately. Rumor has it they’ve even hired many teachers over the phone. As the City of Las Vegas grows, school districts nearby are having trouble recruiting enough teachers to meet the demand.

Florida: This is a terrific time to be looking for a job in Florida. In the past, Florida has had notoriously high class sizes. New legislation has been passed that requires schools to decrease class sizes across the state. To do this, schools will need to hire lots of teachers in a short period of time. If you’ve ever considered applying to a Florida school, now is the time to do it!

North Carolina: This has been a popular relocation spot for teaching candidates for nearly a decade now. Their economy is strong and their population is growing by leaps and bounds. Raleigh-Durham is one of the most popular areas in the state for teaching candidates. For less competition, try other cities in the state.

Georgia: There has been lots of buzz about opportunities in Georgia lately. Atlanta and Savannah are sure to be best bets.

Arizona: If you can stand the heat, Phoenix and Tempe are booming towns in need of qualified teachers.
Where is the market “cold”? Many northeastern “rust-belt” states with dying manufacturing industries are losing population. Public school teaching jobs in these areas, which still tend to pay well and offer excellent benefits, are very hard to come by. These places include Michigan, Upstate New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

(End of article)

Comments?
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I looked at Nevada but I cannot get certified yet.
First I must be beyond provisional certification in Arizona. Once it is standard certification, I think I can get reciprocity.
Today I was studying the Arizona Constitution since I must take a test.

The downside would be why Nevada has such high turnover.

My cousin is a German professor but she couldn't get a job in North Carolina.
She used to work down in South Carolina. Now I think she gave up and sells insurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: