Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!!!! Asian Cities for Online English Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ord2world

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: HELP!!!! Asian Cities for Online English Teachers Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!
This is my first post. I need some suggestions of places to stay in Asia where I can work as an online English teacher. Needless to say, I will need a stable internet connection with download speeds of 5.0 and upload speeds of .5 or higher.

If any of you are working as online teachers then you realize the importance of this. My company will fine me $24 if I cancel a lesson within one hour! So...I can't live in a place where the connection goes out because of a storm. I can pay for good internet and to have a modem installed in my place. My job requires me to connect via cable to the router. The problem is that I'll be there for about 3-4 months.

I was really hoping to return to Bail, but the few co-working spaces there are not designed for English teachers. I could get fiber optic internet installed, but I will need to sign a one year contract. Apparently rats eat through the thin lines, so getting fiber optic doesn't guarantee 24/7 service.

I will need to live alone, so I won't disturb anyone too. Bangkok seems like an option, but no one will verify the fiber optic internet there. I've asked in a few groups and haven't received a response yet. I just want to stay in a cheap place for about 3-4 months until I begin working in Vietnam.

I wouldn't even mind haivng the option of gonig to an internet cafe. If the internet cafes will only me to connect my laptop to the router and work within a sound proof enclosed space.

HELP!!!! Becca
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangkok is certainly do-able.
ADSL Internet packages with 17mbps up and 2mbps down for <1000 baht/month.
Fiber is a bit of overkill - you don't need 50mbps+ levels of bandwidth.

You can get a connection through a cellphone provider with connection rates of 7+mbps down and 1mbps up for about the same price.

The issue will be your visa. 60-days on a single entry tourist visa (extendable by 30), 30 days on a (fly in) visa free entry (7 day extension) or regular (15-day entry stamps) border runs till they kick you out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: