Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching jobs on Pacific Islands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slquoue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Teaching jobs on Pacific Islands Reply with quote

I'm interested in knowing more about the opportunities for teaching on a Pacific Island, particularly Fiji. I have a CELTA and 3 years teaching experience, as well as an unrelated MA and BA.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on this subject?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a U.S. citizen? If so, you might investigate the following opportunities:

1. U.S. Peace Corps
http://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/

2. Fulbright Teaching Assistant Program
http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/types-of-grants/english-teaching-assistant-grants

You might also do a Google search for NGOs and volunteer organizations that are doing work in that part of the world.
slquoue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a UK citizen, and am more looking for actual ELT jobs that would at least cover living costs, rather than volunteer opportunities.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slquoue wrote:
I am . . . looking for actual ELT jobs that would at least cover living costs, rather than volunteer opportunities.

In the South Pacific Islands, I suspect those are probably few and far between, if any at all. Good luck! And please keep us posted if you find anything.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just landed the South Pacific job I wanted. Got the confirmation email yesterday! I was determined I was going to work on Yap (Micronesia) after visiting last winter.

Wasnt easy though. Its taken almost a year of back & forth with the Head of Schools there to work out the details. They werent actively seeking a teacher so it took a bit of convincing. I'll be a high school teacher there.

More on my backstory in a thread just below tagged "micronesia."

I'm pumped. Booking my ticket this weekend for the end of feb.

But Micronesia is a poor country. US$10000 a year plus $500 a month for housing. Fortunately, I dont really care. I'm more about location & the chance to continue teaching at this stage in my life.
slquoue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's great! I'm sure you'll have an amazing experience. You're right - often it's a choice between one of two competing aims - work somewhere for X years to save Y amount of cash, or work somewhere you really want to experience and enjoy living in.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Please keep us posted on how things go. Hope you have a great experience.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ad was posted here at Dave's about two weeks ago for work in the Marshall Islands. I think the jobs are still open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: