Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it really that difficult to find a job in Malaysia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Is it really that difficult to find a job in Malaysia? Reply with quote

I've spent quite a few months looking for a teaching position in Malaysia, and they seem rather difficult to come by.

I have lots of experience - IELTS examiner, CELTA, degree, 13 years experience.

Taught children, adults, university, airlines.

And I've put my CV online, but no luck.

Anyone got any ideas?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see "TEFLing in Malaysia--the basics" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98307)? Malaysia apparently produces its own capable English teachers. In fact, the half dozen or so Malaysian EFL teachers I worked with in Saudi Arabia were well-qualified (TEFL-relevant MA and PhD holders).

You might try the British Council for openings.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC Malaysia are as dodgy as BC China and BC around the world - nasty bunch to work for (and I am registered and certified to work for them). No thanks.

The more I read about Malaysia, the less appealing it seems.

Penang's still on the cards though.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
BC Malaysia are as dodgy as BC China and BC around the world - nasty bunch to work for (and I am registered and certified to work for them). No thanks.

The more I read about Malaysia, the less appealing it seems.

Penang's still on the cards though.

What's up with the BC? Just curious. I worked for them, albeit not in Malaysia, and didn't have too many problems.

I know Penang very well, though, and you might have to grin and bear the BC as there won't be too many openings elsewhere in Penang.
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have visited Penang. Once you've had your fill of starfruit juice at the street cafes and been to the malls, it's small enough that I think you'd feel dulled and oppressed there. Not much happening.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own. I've just spent six weeks in Penang as I do most years. Admittedly I've got family there, but that's the point. If you were based there as a teacher and had friends or brought a partner along, it might be a really nice place for you.

And I know it's a world of difference when you visit or pass through a place, but people should make an effort. I've met Thailand visa runners on the Penang ferry bemoaning their lot at having to visit Penang when it turns out they've never been before. Talk about narrow minded. And then I see them moping around Chulia Street, a picture of misery of boredom (both Chulia Street and the visa runner).

I like Thailand too, but I also like Penang. If you head there with a plan for boredom and hotel room TV, you're missing out. The Rapid Penang buses are 100 times better than the buses of five years ago. Go to Komtar bus station and explore.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's up with the BC? Just curious. I worked for them, albeit not in Malaysia, and didn't have too many problems.

BC China have turned out to be master manipulators of the examiners. Treated us like disposable garbage for the best part of last year. I walked away from them, as did many others.

Researching further, I've heard plenty of horror stories re. BC in other countries.

Re. Penang: I visited last year and enjoyed it. I was only there for three days though. Enjoyed renting a car and driving around (not in rush hour though).

I'm single, and some people said it might be miserable for me, as dating is a bit tricky there, in their opinion. I'm youngish (mid-30s) and generally outgoing, so I wonder how things would go on the friend-making and dating scene. I don't fancy a circle of two friends and no lady in my life.
adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

BC China have turned out to be master manipulators of the examiners. Treated us like disposable garbage for the best part of last year. I walked away from them, as did many others.

Researching further, I've heard plenty of horror stories re. BC in other countries.

While the BC may not be perfect, they're by far and away the best of the larger EFL organisations to work for when it comes to salary, benefits and professional development.

They can be very hard-nosed at times in their dealings with staff, but at least they have standards to speak of- unlike the vast majority of organisations in the industry.

Were you a network teacher?
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

IELTS examiner.
adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

IELTS examiner.

In that case, you might wannna move away from the examinations centres and look at some of the more mainstream positions offered to network teachers in language centres and on some of the projects. Still plenty of demand for IELTS work in the former and good opportunities for promotion and funding towards the DELTA in both. Salaries for teachers a little under 100k a month in Bangkok and between 8/11k in Malaysia depending on your point on the pay scale.

They usually recruit a couple of times a year for KL and Penang, and the projects are ongoing. While their often uncompromising nature can be frustrating at times, I wouldn't let the odd crap centre, manager or policy decision made 1000s of miles away put you off if the opportunity arises further down the line.

Other than that, search online for language centres in the major cities and send them your CV. Salaries at most tend to be about RM5-6k, but you should be able to wrangle a little more with your IELTS experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: